Use mooltipass with encrypted harddisk

Cornelius Kölbel

Aug 24, 2015, 6:16:45 AM8/24/15
to moolt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just picked up the mooltipass from the customs.

Really cool. I really got started very quickly.

I am wondering, if there is a way to use it without the browser.
I.e. might it be possible to store other passwords like for the
encrypted harddisk?
But in this case the mooltipass would have to be recognized as HID
device.

Kind regards
Cornelius

--
Cornelius Kölbel
corneliu...@netknights.it

NetKnights GmbH
http://www.netknights.it
Landgraf-Karl-Str. 19, 34131 Kassel, Germany
Tel: +49 561 3166797, Fax: +49 561 3166798

Amtsgericht Kassel, HRB 16405
Geschäftsführer: Cornelius Kölbel

signature.asc

mathieu...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 6:19:46 AM8/24/15
to Cornelius Kölbel, mooltipass
Hey Cornelius,

It is possible.
Please have a look at our user manual, section "Mooltipass Use without Google Chrome".

Regards,
Mathieu

Cornelius Kölbel

Aug 24, 2015, 6:40:58 AM8/24/15
to mooltipass
Hi Mathieu,

I am looking at this manual
https://github.com/limpkin/mooltipass/raw/master/user_manual.pdf
and do not get a good idea from it.

I see that I can add credentials manually but am not sure, how to push
them manually to USB to be usable with e.g. LUKS.

Thanks a lot and kind regards
Cornelius

Am Montag, den 24.08.2015, 12:19 +0200 schrieb
mathieu...@gmail.com:
signature.asc

mathieu...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 6:43:55 AM8/24/15
to Cornelius Kölbel, mooltipass
Cornelius,

The technique is the following:
- insert your smartcard, unlock the mooltipass
- in the chrome app, click on the Manual tab
- enter the context, user name, password. If you only want to store a password, don't enter anything in the user tab
- in the settings tab, chose your keyboard locale
- use the Mooltipass GUI in the "log in" menu to select the credentials you want to enter.

Regards

Cornelius Kölbel

Aug 24, 2015, 7:42:20 AM8/24/15
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass

Am Montag, den 24.08.2015, 12:43 +0200 schrieb
mathieu...@gmail.com:
> Cornelius,
>

> The technique is the following:
> - insert your smartcard, unlock the mooltipass
> - in the chrome app, click on the Manual tab
> - enter the context, user name, password. If you only want to store a
> password, don't enter anything in the user tab
> - in the settings tab, chose your keyboard locale

I am ok up to this point. I chose "boot" as the context and a password.

> - use the Mooltipass GUI in the "log in" menu to select the
> credentials you want to enter.

When I am now on the mooltipass and choose "log in" i can see the new
context. But when I click on the context, nothing happens.
What should happen, when I press the button on the mooltipass?

Kind regards
Cornelius
> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.
signature.asc

mathieu...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 7:45:36 AM8/24/15
to Cornelius Kölbel, mooltipass
It should prompt you to confirm credentials sending.

Regards

Cornelius Kölbel

Aug 24, 2015, 8:03:11 AM8/24/15
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
In the display on the mooltipass?

It does not :-/

Kind regards
Cornelius

Am Montag, den 24.08.2015, 13:45 +0200 schrieb
mathieu...@gmail.com:
signature.asc

mathieu...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 8:04:48 AM8/24/15
to Cornelius Kölbel, mooltipass
Hello Cornelius,

What happens when you select a credential exactly?
Could you try adding a custom one with the user field not empty? It may be a bug from our app.

Regards

Cornelius Kölbel

Aug 24, 2015, 8:33:49 AM8/24/15
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
Hi Mathieu,

I will do so later and send you a link.

Thanks and kind regards
Cornelius

Am Montag, den 24.08.2015, 14:04 +0200 schrieb
mathieu...@gmail.com:
signature.asc

Nicolas R.

Aug 25, 2015, 1:16:16 PM8/25/15
to mooltipass, mathieu...@gmail.com
Hi,

I tried the same thing, entering manually a credential for my full disk encryption password.
I could enter a credential without username it was not possible to select it on the mooltipass.

By adding a username it works but you have to say no to the "Enter Login" and, yes to the "Enter Password" which is a bit strange.

Then I saw this post and try to reproduce the problem by removing the credential and with a username and adding it again with no username.

And now everything works fine. I can just select contect "fde" and it asks "Enter Password".

So just adding a user name to the context then removing it seams to correct the problem.

Regards,
--
Nicolas

David Ehnebuske

Aug 25, 2015, 3:11:31 PM8/25/15
to moolt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicolas,

Just for the record, I tried the scenario you described using my MP.

I stored "fde" as context, an empty user name and a password on my MP. Once that was done, I used the MP "LOG IN" menu to find and select the "fde" context and then had the MP send the password. It worked correctly for me without having to do the enter and remove sequence you had to use to make it work. I'm not sure what happened that prevented you from selecting the "fde" context the first time.

David Ehnebuske
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mooltipass+...@googlegroups.com.