video fatigue

dana.ro...@rutgers.edu

May 13, 2013, 9:32:35 AM5/13/13
to moocs-and-l...@googlegroups.com
 I just finished the Coursera mooc on gamification, and, while I found the material to be interesting, definitely experienced "video fatigue". Even if the video content is split into multiple short segments, it gets very tedious. I think that in a "regular" course, there is more of a balance of reading and lecture. Here, there was no reading, presumably because of copyright issues (although articles were referred to), and I do think this has a negative influence. The instructor definitely also plugged his book in a very overt way at the end of the course, but perhaps this is part of the deal with the university for doing the mooc.

paul bond

May 13, 2013, 3:40:44 PM5/13/13
to moocs-and-l...@googlegroups.com

I'm baffled by the fascination with recorded lectures. Text is so much more useful, efficient and effective in most cases. That being said, I did take a Berklee/Coursera course on songwriting where rhythm, rhyme, pitch and melody, as conveyed through the instructors voice, were important. The pedagogical value of seeing multiple views of his head in dramatic lighting is questionable, however.

People say the advantage of recorded lectures over live ones is that you can pause and go back and review. While I can see the merit of that argument, if the content being conveyed is contained n the words, and not the way they're spoken, then text has all those advantages plus it's easily scannable/skimmable, and far less expensive.

My rant/2 cents.