MOOCs in support of remedial ed

Delibrarian

Apr 22, 2013, 8:05:27 AM4/22/13
to moocs-and-l...@googlegroups.com
This from a recent Inside Higher Ed:

Salman Khan addressed the annual community college conference in SF, and suggested that his organization would be open to large-scale collaboration with 2-year programs. A number of community colleges have started to integrate these resources into their academic offerings, particularly in remedial programs:

Wake Tech Community College is among several two-year institutions that have begun using massive open online courses (MOOCs) to help meet student demand in remedial tracks.

This is something that I recently broached with our tutoring program. I think that directing students to self-paced learning objects such as the Khan Academy and Udacity is well worth trying. Of course, my concern would always be that this content is used to support teaching, tutoring and supportive programs and not become a cost-effective replacement for them.

paul bond

Apr 22, 2013, 9:10:25 AM4/22/13
to moocs-and-l...@googlegroups.com
It may be worth trying. I wonder though how many students in need of remediation would succeed in self-directed independent learning environment of a MOOC. My hunch is they'd need more in-person support.