OFF: polyglot developers question

Icaro Camelo

Mar 5, 2015, 12:08:26 AM3/5/15
to montrea...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

As a polyglot developer, how do you explain to companies that you are valuable and that you're able to work with no matter what programming language? I Have a Github account with some examples and a StackOverflow profile but I feel it's not enough. Some companies don't take a look at it.

Example: I have 7 years of software development and 1.5 year sysadmin experience and even tough I've been doing a lot of C# with some MS certifications, I had the opportunity to work with Java, ObjC, Python, C, networking admin and dev, etc.

So how could I avoid stereotypes?!

Thanks!

Richard Vézina

Mar 5, 2015, 8:30:52 AM3/5/15
to montrea...@googlegroups.com
Shlashdot question!!

:)

Which stereotypes?

Richard

--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes Montréal-Python.

Éric St-Jean

Mar 5, 2015, 11:07:58 AM3/5/15
to montrea...@googlegroups.com

I'd say that if you mention your github and SO profiles and they don't even look at them, those are not companies you want to work for.

Gersande

Mar 5, 2015, 11:32:35 AM3/5/15
to montrea...@googlegroups.com
While I agree with Éric, sometimes companies’ HR person don’t really know what they are looking at. It may be work writing a short line such as “to get a proper glimpse into my adaptability as a programmer, I recommend looking at my Github and SO, particularly [appropriate link], or [appropriate link], as they showcase my 1) ability to work in teams, 2) my experience moving from one language to another on projects, 3) etc, etc”

A line like that can be inserted rather easily into a PDF or website-based C.V.

Gersande
twitter @gersandelf

Twitter Wizard at Technoculture, Art and Games Research Centre @Tag_News

Pour envoyer un message à ce groupe, envoyez un e-mail à l'adresse montrea...@googlegroups.com.