48th National Convention Annoucement

Gilbert Taylor

Jul 2, 2013, 9:14:34 PM7/2/13
to montford-...@googlegroups.com

Montford Point Marine Association, Inc.,

48th National Convention

THEME:  “Paying It Forward:  Educating, Commemorating, and Rededicating our Efforts to Preserve the Legacy”

Members, Friends, and Supporters:

We will gather to honor our heroes and their storied lineage at our 48th National Convention in San Diego, California from 21-24 August 2013. This commemoration will honor the Montford Point Marines, while ensuring the preservation of their legacy continues. In doing so, we will celebrate the future of the Montford Point Marine Association and the role we will continue to play in ensuring the success of our Association, Corps, and Country.

MPMA Chapter #36 President, Rev. Shannon Sabsook is poised to fire the base and be the Guest Speaker at the President’s Reception. Marine GySgt and motivational speaker, Lawrence Dean aka (Life) will inspire attendees with Spoken Word and the fiery (I Am Montford Point) rendition. This event honors all MPMA Presidents for their daily sacrifices, dedication, and commitment to preserve the legacy of our trailblazers. This is an opportunity for me to simply say “thank you” for your tireless efforts.

Once again, we are pleased to welcome famed warriors, tacticians, MPMA Life Members, and loyal supporters, LtGen Walter E. Gaskin, Deputy Chairman, NATO Military Committee and LtGen Ronald L. Bailey, Deputy Commandant, Plans, Policies, and Operations. These men of distinction will be in attendance for the entire National Convention; participating in the Presidential Golf Tournament and Professional Military Education (PME) Seminars, a platform staged to mentor and share experiences as a Marine Officer walking in the footsteps of giants, The Montford Point Marines.

I am truly elated to implement the MPMA PME Seminar. The following individuals are committed to this project and dedicated to its fruition. The designated speakers are:

Ø  LtGen Walter E. Gaskin:  Marine Corps Officer Retention

Ø  LtGen Ronald L. Bailey:  State of the Marine Corps

Ø  Col Robert C. Clements:  National President, National Naval Officers Association (NNOA), Head Promotion Branch

Ø  Dr. Kenneth D. Dunn (Col Ret):  Marine Corps Leadership Seminar

Ø  Dr. Betty Mosely Brown:  National President Women Marine Association and Director Center for Women Veterans

Ø  MSgt Mark McArthur:  Marine Corps Diversity Initiatives

Ø  Mrs. Carmen Cole (CWO3 Ret):  Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)

Ø  Mr. John Hood (MGySgt Ret):  Transition Assistance Program/Resume Writing

Ø  Mr. Melvin Chestnut (SgtMaj Ret):  History of MPMA

Ø  Montford Point Marines, Roundtable Discussion:  Facilitated by PNP Joseph H. Geeter III (MGySgt Ret)

The Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, General John Paxton, Jr. will grace us with his presence as he delivers the message as our Guest Speaker at the Award Banquet.

The following individuals will be inducted into the Montford Point Hall of Fame:

-       Rev. Finney Greggs (1stSgt Ret):  MPMA National Museum Director

-       Mr. Anthony A. Chestang:  MPMA Past Central Region Vice President and National Journal Director

The 48th National Convention holds great opportunities for everyone to fellowship with one another, while participating and supporting the 4th Annual Presidential Golf Tournament; President’s Reception; Ladies Auxiliary Award Luncheon “All White Affair”; Queen’s Coronation; and the Host Chapter’s event to include live entertainment. I encourage you to support all events provided for your enjoyment!

Headquarters Marine Corps History Division and the Library of Congress will be on site in support of the Veterans History Project. This was a program mandated by Congress in 2000 to collect, preserve, and share the first-hand experiences of American wartime veterans. The Montford Point Marines are the priority and targeted audience to have their history collected. However, if you served on active duty this will be an opportunity to have your story collected, as well.

Please make your reservations for air and hotel accommodations to attend these special events, if you have not already done so. Please contact MPMA Chapter #12 President, Mr. Robert Lewis (858) 353-4607, if you are having a problem with making a reservation or lodging concerns.

Please make checks payable to: MPMA National Convention and mail payment and registration packages to Montford Point Marine Association, Inc., P.O. Box 83901, San Diego, California  92138.

Please visit the Montford Point Marine, National website for more information on the 48th National Convention: montfordpointmarines.org, click the convention information tab to view the following:

-       Agenda

-       PME schedule

-       Golf Tournament

-       Hotel information

-       Guest of Honor Biography

-       Registration package

-       General Information

Please forward this email to all interested parties. I look forward to seeing each of you at this year’s National Convention to educate, commemorate, and rededicate our efforts in preserving the legacy of the Montford Point Marines.

Respectfully,

Dr. James T. Averhart, Jr.