digit/ui/select.reel newby question

jp.ma...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 5:13:21 AM5/3/14
to mont...@googlegroups.com
A very trivial question:

I drop a Select in my component, add <option> elements in it and... the select is indeed displayed when I run my app, but empty (with no options)...
What am I supposed to do here?

TIA

JPM

in html:

<select data-montage-id="select">
            <option value="">
                Select
            </option>
            <option value="test">
                test
            </option>
 </select>

Serialiazation:

"select": {
            "prototype": "digit/ui/select.reel",
            "properties": {
                "element": {"#": "select"},
                "enabled": true
            }
        }

Message has been deleted

jp.ma...@gmail.com

May 3, 2014, 11:15:26 AM5/3/14
to mont...@googlegroups.com
Answering my own question:

It seems that contrary to what the documentation states, this component needs to be populated by means of its "content" property...

JPM

afo...@montagestudio.com

May 3, 2014, 11:45:56 AM5/3/14
to mont...@googlegroups.com
Hi JPM,

This was true a long time ago but have since changed to make all data component driven.
The markup is only able to handle strings and as such it didn't make for a good transition when the developer wanted to start using more complex data sets.

I've just updated that page to reflect the current API.

There is a page with a list of examples of how to do basic UI with MontageJS: http://docs.montagestudio.com/montagejs/montagejs-examples.html
A Cookbook with application patterns is also available and maintained by Ryan Paul, our devrel: http://seg.phault.net/montage/cookbook/
Our blog is more informal, as it is written by our engineering team (where some are not native english speakers :-) ) and focus on interesting tidbits, but it is also a good source of information: http://montagestudio.com/blog/

If there's anything missing, like a pattern that you need or lack of documentation on a specific topic, please tell us about it. We are constantly reviewing and adding to our documentation but it would help us greatly to know the more immediate needs of the developers.

Thank you for the feedback!

François Frisch

May 3, 2014, 11:46:32 AM5/3/14
to jp.ma...@gmail.com, mont...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I hope you find this little sample useful http://montagejs.github.io/mfiddle/#!/5904482 and more here http://docs.montagestudio.com/montagejs/montagejs-examples.html

I would definitely recommend using the RangeController since it makes it possible to extract selection and content concerns out of ui widgets

François

François Frisch

May 3, 2014, 11:47:16 AM5/3/14
to afo...@montagestudio.com, mont...@googlegroups.com
Beat me to it!

Jean Pierre Malrieu

May 3, 2014, 12:13:01 PM5/3/14
to mont...@googlegroups.com
Ah ok, I thought it would be good practice to avoid the overhead of a RangeController when the ui widget is not going to change.
I'll use a RangeController systematically then.

Thanks

JPM