can Cloud Manager manage multiple replica sets?

Scarlett Zuo

Aug 9, 2017, 3:07:38 PM8/9/17
to mongodb-user
Dear all,

My company is about to have a second replica set. And I'm considering using Cloud Manager to monitor the existing one and the new one. These two replica set will have no intersection. Just wondering if Cloud Manager can manage multiple replica sets.

Thanks!
Scarlett

Stephen Steneker

Aug 16, 2017, 1:17:01 AM8/16/17
to mongodb-user
On Thursday, 10 August 2017 05:07:38 UTC+10, Scarlett Zuo wrote:
My company is about to have a second replica set. And I'm considering using Cloud Manager to monitor the existing one and the new one. These two replica set will have no intersection. Just wondering if Cloud Manager can manage multiple replica sets.

Hi Scarlett,

Yes, you can manage multiple deployments (standalone, replica set, or sharded cluster) within the same Cloud Manager group.

However, it would be advisable to use separate Cloud Manager groups for clarity if you have:
  • replica sets using the same replSet names
  • replica sets representing different environments (i.e. staging vs production)
Regards,
Stennie

Scarlett Zuo

Aug 16, 2017, 7:45:57 AM8/16/17
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks!

Sent from my phone.
人,
需要这样一种洒脱:“任凭风吹浪打,胜似闲庭信步”;
需要这样一种勇气:“行云流水一孤僧”;
需要这样一种韧性:“零落成泥碾作尘,只有香如故”。

Scarlett Zuo

Aug 18, 2017, 11:29:36 AM8/18/17
to mongodb-user
Hi Stennie,

If I want to expand my hard disk, say add more EBS, do you know if this can be done easily via Cloud manager?

Thanks!
Scarlett

Stephen Steneker

Aug 21, 2017, 3:35:15 AM8/21/17
to mongodb-user
On Saturday, 19 August 2017 01:29:36 UTC+10, Scarlett Zuo wrote:
If I want to expand my hard disk, say add more EBS, do you know if this can be done easily via Cloud manager?

Hi Scarlett,

Cloud Manager does not manage the provisioning of EBS volumes, so increasing storage is something you'd have to plan and administer yourself. With a replica set environment you can maintain availability by upgrading one secondary at at time until you eventually step down and upgrade the former primary.

If you are looking for a more fully managed solution, you may want to consider MongoDB Atlas. MongoDB Atlas is a database-as-a-service that takes care of underlying provisioning and configuration management. With Atlas you can adjust storage capacity and other provisioning/deployment options through the management interface -- changes will be deployed automatically with minimal downtime.

However, since MongoDB Atlas is a fully managed service you do not have direct access to the underlying instances. For common questions such as whether to use MongoDB Atlas or Cloud Manager, see the MongoDB Atlas FAQ.

Regards,
Stennie