Which windows 2008 64bit editions to choose to run mongodb?

Projapati

Apr 21, 2012, 9:54:18 PM4/21/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I want to know if MongoDB will run fine on "64bit windows 2008 web" edition or I need to buy 2008 Standard version.

Mongodb site just specifies windows 64 bit. Does it mean web edition of win 2008 64 bit is enough?

This way I can save $120 a year on my hosting plan.

Thanks

Sam Millman

Apr 21, 2012, 10:04:19 PM4/21/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
This page is useful for understanding: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

One problem I see immediately is: 2-GB RAM Maximum

This will be a serious problem to your ability to store Mongo indexes etc in RAM. Also I am not sure if it's 64bit which means you can get additional performance benefits that 64bit inherently gives. Basically Windows web edition is a basic edition designed for hosting personal servers really.

Sam Millman

Apr 21, 2012, 10:06:13 PM4/21/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Ooops I read the wrong page there, this is actually the 2008 edition: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2008-r2-web.aspx

I notice it supports 32gb of ram now and has 64bit, so should be fine to run on that version.

sridhar

Apr 30, 2012, 3:34:14 PM4/30/12
to mongodb-user
Additionally I would also use 2008 R2 if possible. The 2008 R2 version
of mongodb (specified as 2008+) in the downloads page uses the new SRW
locks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/
aa904937(v=vs.85).aspx)