Ops Manager snapshot frequency

srihari prabhakar

Apr 24, 2017, 12:07:28 PM4/24/17
to mongodb-user
In the "Snapshot Frequency and Retention Policy" section of page https://docs.opsmanager.mongodb.com/current/core/backup-preparations/, it is mentioned that a base snapshot is taken every 24 hrs be default. By base snapshot i believe its the snapshot of complete data, not just the delta data. But further it mentions about daily, weekly and monthly snapshots as well.

What is the need of weekly, monthly snapshots if base snapshot is taken every 24hrs?
Is there anything wrong with my understanding of base/weekly/monthly snapshots ?

Wan Bachtiar

May 12, 2017, 3:55:15 AM5/12/17
to mongodb-user

By base snapshot i believe its the snapshot of complete data, not just the delta data.

Hi Srihari,

The base snapshot means the most granular snapshot that you could set. Defaulting to 24 hours. If desired, administrators can change the frequency of base snapshots to 6, 8, 12, or 24 hours.

What is the need of weekly, monthly snapshots if base snapshot is taken every 24hrs?

Referring to the Snapshot Frequency and Retention Policy , the key point is the retention policy for each of the snapshot. For example, after one week back-up period there should be backups of most recent, yesterday and last week.

Note that MongoDB Ops Manager is part of MongoDB Enterprise which is a commercially supported product. If your organisation/company already has a commercial subscription and you have further questions, I would suggest opening a case in the Commercial Support Portal.

Regards,

Wan

Balam Eliseo Barron Ortiz

May 12, 2017, 9:59:14 AM5/12/17
to mongodb-user
Hi Srihari
As Wan tells you the default number of hours is 24 but you can modify it is like port 27017 that is the port by default but you can use any other.

With respect to the other backups I can give you the example of the company in which I work, by law in my country I have to save the information for 5 years and the type of request is like this:
4 daily backups are saved until Friday that is the one that is kept of the week and so until having 4 backups of each Friday of the month, in the following month the same happens but the backups are erased only remaining with the end of the month This indicates that in the year I have to save 12 backups, I hope your answer can help.

srihari prabhakar

May 13, 2017, 3:34:22 AM5/13/17
to mongodb-user
Thanks for the info Wan..
I have not taken up the MongoDB admin role yet. Got the doubt when i was going through documentation.

srihari prabhakar

May 13, 2017, 3:36:05 AM5/13/17
to mongodb-user
Thanks...this helps..