MongoDB server memory issue

avinash....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2017, 7:50:52 AM11/16/17
to mongodb-user
Hi Folks,

I am observing high memory usage by mongoDb in one of my server.

I have 2 mongod process running on my server and this server is part of a shared cluster. But the data is not sharded for any collections in this.

My db has total of 6 GB Data (5GB Data + 1GB Index), but one of this process takes 30% of server memory (80GB) .

Any comments on this behaviour please?

Kevin Adistambha

Nov 26, 2017, 11:13:34 PM11/26/17
to mongodb-user

Hi

I have 2 mongod process running on my server and this server is part of a shared cluster.

Generally, it’s not recommended to run more than one mongod per server, since each mongod process would compete for the same resources in the server, creating a resource contention.

My db has total of 6 GB Data (5GB Data + 1GB Index), but one of this process takes 30% of server memory (80GB) .

I’m not clear on the 30% number. Is it taking 30% of 80GB (24GB)? MongoDB uses memory for many other things, e.g. aggregation framework process, etc. Also, MongoDB was designed to use as much memory as possible to provide the best performance.

Any comments on this behaviour please?

The memory usage you mentioned is not unexpected. Are you seeing any performance issues due to this?

To ensure that your MongoDB server is running smoothly, I would recommend you follow the guidelines in the Production Notes.

If you have further questions, could you provide more details:

  • Your MongoDB and your OS version
  • Your deployment topology (standalone, replica set, sharded cluster, etc.)
  • A description of the issue you’re facing, and what you have tried to alleviate it.

Best regards
Kevin

avinash....@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2018, 11:01:57 AM1/7/18