mms "Host authentication error" although mongod is running without authentication

Shi Shei

May 1, 2014, 10:39:42 AM5/1/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Our mms displays "Host authentication error" even though the mongod hosts are running without authentication.
Also, the monitoring-agent.config has not defined an user or password, means, that the values of globalAuthUsername and globalAuthPassword are empty.
When we've added these hosts to mms, we did not enter any user or password.

This happens since we have updated our mms agent from v1.5.9 to a newer version (2.0.x) and then to the current version (2.1.2.43-1.linux_x86_64). It seemed to work still some days after the mms agent update but since a few days mms displays the above error and is missing the data of the last few days.

Btw. some other mongod nodes, which are running with authentication, are well monitored. When we added these nodes we entered their user and passwords of course. They are in the same mms group. We want to keep these mongo nodes together in one and the same group whether they are running authentication or not.

Both systems (with and without authentication) are monitored since ages without any problem. So what's wrong with the new(er) mms agent?

Btw. our mms group name is idealo.

anil

May 1, 2014, 12:24:17 PM5/1/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shi,

Since diagnosing further may need information that may be private to your environment, I would suggest raising a MMS support request from https://mms.mongodb.com/links/support (This is Help & Support) link at the bottom left corner of the MMS page.

-Anil

Shi Shei

May 1, 2014, 1:16:32 PM5/1/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Anil. As you've suggested, I've opened a mms issue:
https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/MMSSUPPORT-3138

Shi Shei

May 2, 2014, 8:55:43 AM5/2/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Problem fixed!
To recap the issue why the auth error happened: when we updated the mms-agent, we have set globalAuthUsername and globalAuthPassword in the monitoring-agent.config because we forgot that some nodes don't use authentication. When we remarked our mistake some minutes later, we removed globalAuthUsername and globalAuthPassword from the monitoring-agent.config. However, it seems that the credentials are still present on mms side, so we needed to remove them explicitly from each host by clicking the gear icon to the right of the host, selecting "Edit host" and then clicking the "remove" button followed by "submit" in the "Credentials" tab.

Hope this may help other users having the same issue.