Issues in production, mongodb 1.8.2, two shards

Oded Maimon

Aug 17, 2011, 6:33:39 PM8/17/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
we are getting, few times a day, the following errors in our code:
com.mongodb.MongoException$Network: can't call something
        at com.mongodb.DBTCPConnector.call(DBTCPConnector.java:216)
        at com.mongodb.DBApiLayer$MyCollection.__find(DBApiLayer.java:296)
        at com.mongodb.DBCursor._check(DBCursor.java:356)
        at com.mongodb.DBCursor._hasNext(DBCursor.java:486)
        at com.mongodb.DBCursor.hasNext(DBCursor.java:511)
        at com.google.code.morphia.query.MorphiaIterator.hasNext(MorphiaIterator.java:40)
        at com.google.code.morphia.query.QueryImpl.get(QueryImpl.java:351)
        at com.google.code.morphia.DatastoreImpl.get(DatastoreImpl.java:497)
        at com.google.code.morphia.dao.BasicDAO.get(BasicDAO.java:163)

at the same time the mongodb shards started to move a chunks of few of our main collections (the users related collection)...

as i understand mongo chunk movement, it shouldn't interrupt regular operation.

mongos is a local process on each application server.

what are the reasons for such an error?

Eliot Horowitz

Aug 17, 2011, 11:22:10 PM8/17/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Want to meet @ 9?
That morning is wide open.

Scott Hernandez

Aug 18, 2011, 12:03:24 AM8/18/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any server logs from that from that period. There should
be more info there.

Oded Maimon

Aug 18, 2011, 2:51:41 AM8/18/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
yes i've it..
I've kept only the relevant minutes.
do you want me to also send the mongos logs for that time?
it is attached to this mail. it is password protected. i'm sending the password directly to you...

BTW, The servers are on EC2.

Thanks

Oded Maimon

Aug 19, 2011, 5:43:04 AM8/19/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott, did you get my logs and find something relevant ?

thanks.

Scott Hernandez

Aug 19, 2011, 9:27:53 AM8/19/11
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I didn't see any issues in the logs. There were some
really slow periods of operations on the shard (mongod) but it is hard
to know the cause.

Does this happen repeatedly, or in such a maner where you can predict
it? Is so it would help to collect some mongostat numbers as well
during that time. You can run mongostat --discover against the mongos
server and it will collect stats from all shards. Also, collecting
"iostat -xm 2" on the primaries during that time would help as well.