MongoDB and Memory

news...@syslog.com

Apr 29, 2012, 10:10:56 AM4/29/12
to mongodb-user
I'm just wondering how MongoDB handles memory. The machines I'm
running it on have 48GB, which based on our current DB size should be
more than enough:

SECONDARY> db.stats()
{
"db" : "master",
"collections" : 118,
"objects" : 51167677,
"avgObjSize" : 132.34001809384466,
"dataSize" : 6771531300,
"storageSize" : 8493039616,
"numExtents" : 722,
"indexes" : 564,
"indexSize" : 9511279792,
"fileSize" : 23544725504,
"nsSizeMB" : 16,
"ok" : 1
}

But I got a warning email from our monitoring system that it was using
almost *all* the available system memory:

MONGODB WARNING - Memory Usage: 42.05GB resident, 101.26GB mapped,
46.13GB virtual

Can someone explain what's going on here?

Andreas Jung

Apr 29, 2012, 10:17:03 AM4/29/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Goggle "MongoDB memory mapped files" - asked and explained at
least once a week.

-aj
--
ZOPYX Limited | zopyx group
Charlottenstr. 37/1 | The full-service network for Zope & Plone

Scott Hernandez

Apr 29, 2012, 12:17:43 PM4/29/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Please see this: http://mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Checking+Server+Memory+Usage

Or you can search the previous group posts:
http://groups.google.com/group/mongodb-user/