Why is EncoderContext final in the Java driver?

Oleg Rekutin

Dec 6, 2016, 3:06:34 PM12/6/16
to mongodb-user
Hey folks,

I thought that extending EncoderContext to provide encoding-time information (e.g. type parametrization details for underlying encoders) to custom encoders would work well, but sadly EncoderContext is a final class!

Is there any good reason to make this class final? Is there any objection to making it NOT final so it can be extended? If so, I can open an issue w/ a PR.

Best,
Oleg Rekutin

Wan Bachtiar

Dec 14, 2016, 11:19:11 PM12/14/16
to mongodb-user

Hi Oleg,

To better understand your use case, could you provide a sample custom codec implementation that would make use of the EncoderContext subclass ?

Regards,

Wan.