MongoDB Major and Minor version compatibility.

Luis Santos

Jan 17, 2018, 2:00:50 PM1/17/18
to mongodb-user
Hello.

I am relatively new to MongoDB and am unaware of how compatible it's releases are between themselves.

I must migrate a production DB from version 2.6 to 3.6, but before I do so, I would like to install both versions on another machine, populate the 2.6 DB with some sample data and attempt to migrate it to 3.6.
However, I can no longer download 2.6, so my question is, if I install 2.7 instead, will my experiment still be absolutely valid, or are there incompatibilities between 2.6 and 2.7 that render said experiment invalid?
And if 2.6 and 2.7 are sufficiently different, then where can I get an .msi installer of 2.6?

Many thanks in advance!

Kevin Adistambha

Jan 21, 2018, 9:47:44 PM1/21/18
to mongodb-user

Hi

if I install 2.7 instead, will my experiment still be absolutely valid

I wouldn’t think so. The 2.7 is a development branch, which means that many things would be sufficiently different from the stable 2.6 or the subsequent stable 3.0 versions, or even between minor versions within the 2.7 branch themselves.

populate the 2.6 DB with some sample data and attempt to migrate it to 3.6

Please note that the only supported and tested binary upgrade path is between major versions, e.g. to upgrade from 2.6 to 3.6, you would need to upgrade to: 2.6 -> 3.0 -> 3.2 -> 3.4 -> 3.6. Another method is to dump/restore your data using mongodump and mongorestore.

where can I get an .msi installer of 2.6?

All available binaries should be available under the link “All versions binaries”: With SSL or without SSL.

Best regards
Kevin