documentations currently recommended for MongoDB based applications?

Kumar

Oct 23, 2016, 12:18:56 AM10/23/16
to mongodb-user
Hello,

What are the documentations currently recommended for MongoDB based applications?

I belong in the back end database world and traditionally we used to develop following documentation for RDBMS applications.

1. Conceptual Model
2. Logical Model
3. Physical Model
4. Schema definitions
5. Field definitions & examples

Since MongoDB is schemaless it appears 2,3,4 above may not make sense or is not required.

May be we could include 1 and 5 as possible artifacts that could be developed as part of the database team.

Is this reasonable?

We are an agile shop, are there other artifacts that are recommended that needs to be developed as part of standard documentation ?

thanks.

Kevin Adistambha

Nov 2, 2016, 8:26:38 PM11/2/16
to mongodb-user

Hi

What are the documentations currently recommended for MongoDB based applications?

We are an agile shop, are there other artifacts that are recommended that needs to be developed as part of standard documentation ?

This is a very open-ended question, and the answer largely depends on your use case, what do you need the documentations for, and how much time do you want to spend creating and maintaining it. As such, there is no single “standard documentation” for MongoDB applications, since it very much depends on your organization’s best practices.

You outlined five items that you usually document in an RDBMS applications. If this is the documentation style you’re used to, you could probably follow the same structure. As you have already pointed out, some things that needs to be documented in an RDBMS are not applicable to MongoDB, as MongoDB is not as strict as a traditional RDBMS regarding table structure and datatypes. However, I would suggest that you document your indexes and the queries that require those indexes, as indexes are typically tailored to serve specific queries.

On another note, MongoDB 3.2 includes a Document Validation feature if you need a stricter requirements regarding the documents in your collections.

Best regards,
Kevin

Ash N

Nov 2, 2016, 8:29:39 PM11/2/16