Mongodump 2.6.x Mongorestore, possible data missing

jamieorc

Jun 29, 2015, 11:33:21 AM6/29/15
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Last Friday a customer added some data around 12:30 EDT. Around 1:30 EDT I stopped access to our servers and mongodumped data from our dbs and then migrated the data to a new server instance.

Later that day the same use logged in and found that none of her changes were there. In fact, the three items looked exactly as it had before her changes.

I checked the Rails logs and see that she had made the changes earlier in the day before the migration. They all look successful--no errors reported. She indicates that the data had appeared as she would expect in the browser interface.

Is there a possibility that write data had not been flushed to disk but this time? Does mongodump not dump all *current* data.

I'm just guessing, grasping at straws as to what might have happened. In the nearly six years or so of using Mongo, I haven't encountered something like this before.

Looking for ideas.

Cheers,

Jamie

sallgeud

Jul 2, 2015, 5:05:44 PM7/2/15
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I have to ask... Are you sure you restored a backup from 130 and not an earlier one?

Jamie Orchard-Hays

Jul 2, 2015, 5:09:02 PM7/2/15
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I double checked to make sure.