database archive methods

James

Oct 1, 2016, 11:26:27 PM10/1/16
to mongodb-user
How I can archive a database in a Cluster. I have a 15 TB database that is spread across 15 shards in a cluster.

Iľja Pelech

Oct 4, 2016, 7:09:32 AM10/4/16
to mongodb-user
That would be really interesting to see a usable solution. Our cluster is just about to grow that size.

Jorge Imperial

Oct 26, 2016, 2:49:20 AM10/26/16
to mongodb-user

There are a few options to backup sharded environments. Depending on your specific situation, you might consider any of these:

MongoDB offers two very complete solutions to database backup and restore:

*Cloud Manager*
A cloud based product that manages, monitors and backs up data. You only need to sign up and configure to start backups.
A description of Cloud Manager and an introduction to its features can be found at this link: https://docs.cloudmanager.mongodb.com.

*Ops Manager*
It is a product that you can install on site, and that offers the same functionality than Cloud Manager. You will have to install it and manage it yourself.
An overview of Ops Manager and its features can be found at this link: https://docs.opsmanager.mongodb.com/current/application/

Please note that there is a 30-day trial of Cloud Manager, and Ops Manager requires a MongoDB subscription. If either of these options appeal to you, please contact me off-list so I can refer you to our account executive.

There are also two other options:

*File system copy*
A backup can be created by copying MongoDB underlying data files.
The procedure and and caveats of doing backups this way are better explained at this link https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/backups/#back-up-by-copying-underlying-data-files

*mongodump*
The mongodump utility can also be used to dump a database to disk, but they are oriented towards smaller single node databases. Mongodump creates BSON files that can be used as snapshots, but only backs up the documents. Indexes will need to be recreated at the time of restore. More information about mongodump backups can be found at this link https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/backups/#back-up-with-mongodump