Strange behavior in testing 2.6.0.rc0

Tim Callaghan

Feb 24, 2014, 4:36:08 PM2/24/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I'm running my Sysbench application against MongoDB 2.4.9 and 2.6.0.rc0 using the exact same client application and settings. In 2.4.9 everything is running as I'd expect. However, in 2.6.0.rc0 my Java based client application is reporting "Read time outs", as follows:

     [java] Exception in thread "Thread-29" com.mongodb.MongoException$Network: Read operation to server localhost/127.0.0.1:27017 failed on database sbtest
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBTCPConnector.innerCall(DBTCPConnector.java:253)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBTCPConnector.call(DBTCPConnector.java:216)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBApiLayer$MyCollection.__find(DBApiLayer.java:288)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBApiLayer$MyCollection.__find(DBApiLayer.java:273)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBCursor._check(DBCursor.java:368)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBCursor._hasNext(DBCursor.java:459)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBCursor.hasNext(DBCursor.java:484)
     [java] at jmongosysbenchexecute$MyWriter.run(jmongosysbenchexecute.java:376)
     [java] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
     [java] Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
     [java] at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
     [java] at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:152)
     [java] at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
     [java] at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
     [java] at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:275)
     [java] at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:334)
     [java] at org.bson.io.Bits.readFully(Bits.java:46)
     [java] at org.bson.io.Bits.readFully(Bits.java:33)
     [java] at org.bson.io.Bits.readFully(Bits.java:28)
     [java] at com.mongodb.Response.<init>(Response.java:40)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBPort.go(DBPort.java:142)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBPort.call(DBPort.java:92)
     [java] at com.mongodb.DBTCPConnector.innerCall(DBTCPConnector.java:244)
     [java] ... 8 more

I have my clientOptions configured for socketTimeout(60000) and connectionsPerHost(2048). The behavior doesn't occur with a single client thread, but once I have two or more client threads I get the error.

Ideas?

-Tim

Tim Callaghan

Feb 24, 2014, 5:08:28 PM2/24/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I've kicked off another run with socketTimeout increased from 60 seconds to 180 seconds, should have results in the morning.

Jeff Yemin

Feb 24, 2014, 5:57:01 PM2/24/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

Thanks for sharing these results.  Can you let us know what version of the Java driver you're using?

Thanks,
Jeff

See also the IRC channel -- freenode.net#mongodb

---

Tim Callaghan

Feb 24, 2014, 7:14:47 PM2/24/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
2.11.2

Tim Callaghan

Feb 24, 2014, 7:15:30 PM2/24/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Any tips on how I can further diagnose the reason for the disconnect?

Tim Callaghan

Feb 25, 2014, 8:03:29 AM2/25/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
It appears that my application is showing a serious performance regression in 2.6.0.rc0 (compared to 2.4.9), I'm going to file a ticket in JIRA this morning.

Tim Callaghan

Mar 3, 2014, 4:12:57 PM3/3/14
to mongod...@googlegroups.com