Forecast modeling in MongoDB?

Kirsten Hunter

Jul 11, 2017, 5:49:27 PM7/11/17
to mongodb-user
Hello,

I'm trying to put together a course and have come across something I haven't been able to accomplish natively using MongoDB functions.

The two datasets I have available are:
* CA Educational Attainment - number of people with a specific educational attainment
  * Year
  * Age
  * Educational Attainment
* Population Projection by age - population forecasts up to 2060
  * Year
  * Age
  * Population

So far so good, I can determine the educational demand for existing years, and I could estimate the same for future years by taking the raw percentages and applying them to the future population, but is there a better way to do this than brute force using Mongo's native operations?

Thanks in advance.  I promise that while I'm asking for help with my homework, it's homework for a class I'm teaching ;-)

Kirsten

Kevin Adistambha

Jul 24, 2017, 2:15:54 AM7/24/17
to mongodb-user

Hi Kirsten

It’s been some time since you posted this question. Have you find a satisfactory answer yet?

If not, could you post some example documents from the two datasets you mentioned, the output you desire, and what you have tried so far?

but is there a better way to do this than brute force using Mongo’s native operations?

I’m not entirely clear on what you mean. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by “brute force”, why do you think it is bad, and which MongoDB native operations you used?

Best regards,
Kevin