Help please : getaddrinfo "name or service not known"

EM

Oct 21, 2016, 8:13:46 AM10/21/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

My replicatset do not respond anymore since one hour and I do not understand why. I used Mongo Cloud Manager to deploy it on AWS and it ran perfectly during few months until now. This is the error I have when i try to connect to my replicat set now :

$ mongo --ssl --sslCAFile /etc/ssl/root.pem --host hostname1:27000,hostname2:27000,hostname3:27000

> getaddrinfo("hostname1.com") failed: Name or service not known

This is the same thing on the three AWS instances and I do not know where to look.

Thank you.

EM

Oct 21, 2016, 9:23:49 AM10/21/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I add some details here, just in case it could help someone else to solve this. The DNS used by the Mongo Cloud Manager were down at the same time. It was specified on the status page http://status.cloud.mongodb.com/ that "Cloud Manager-provisioned hosts may become unreachable by new clients."

So I backed up the file /etc/hosts on each host, and I modified it to add the resolution of the domain names of the two other hosts with the AWS private IPs.

Senthil

Oct 21, 2016, 8:53:55 PM10/21/16
to mongodb-user
Hi ,  Please check the host status in AWS console.  And also verify whether you can able to ping the hosts from your command window.

It seems AWS might have done some maintenace at their end and brought up the servers. During that timeframe you were not able to connect , i guess.
Message has been deleted

EM

Oct 22, 2016, 7:22:01 PM10/22/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I could connect to my hosts as I changed the /etc/hosts file on each to fix the issue. It was indeed due to the massive DDos Attack on Dyn, confirmed later by a mailing from the MongoDB team. Here is a post that explains the fix better than I did: https://www.apteligent.com/2016/10/mongodb-mms-offline-due-dyn-ddos-heres-quick-fix/

Thanks.