index, journal and log directories

Dan82

Nov 9, 2015, 5:36:31 PM11/9/15
to mongodb-user
Hi all,

I'm currently building a production environment prototype including replication and sharding with WiredTiger; for each mongod instance in replica sets, I created dedicated partitions for data, indexes, journal and log information.

Question 1 : About mongos router, can you confirm only log directory is required?
Question 2 : About config servers, I created data, journal and log directories, do these servers store indexes?

Thank's
Dan

Stephen Steneker

Nov 27, 2015, 12:37:20 AM11/27/15
to mongodb-user

On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 09:36:31 UTC+11, Dan82 wrote:

I’m currently building a production environment prototype including replication and sharding with WiredTiger; for each mongod instance in replica sets, I created dedicated partitions for data, indexes, journal and log information.

Hi Dan,

Not sure if this was already addressed elsewhere, but a belated follow up just in case :).

Question 1 : About mongos router, can you confirm only log directory is required?

mongos does not store any data, so you will just need a path for the log files.

Question 2 : About config servers, I created data, journal and log directories, do these servers store indexes?

The config servers store the sharded cluster metadata in normal MongoDB collections (data & indexes) and will have journal and log files. However, the sharded cluster metadata is typically very small and does not need to be split across multiple partitions if you are trying to do so for performance reasons.

Regards,
Stephen