ElasticSearch and MongoDB Integration with MongoConnector

Ron Yosipovich

Jan 23, 2015, 10:33:27 AM1/23/15
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am building a product catalog and would like add elastic search on top to search it.
I wanted to use mongo connector to integrate mongodb with elastic search, however I found in the following blog post from mongo staff (at the bottom of the page) that mongo connector "Although Mongo Connector has improved substantially since its first release, it’s still an experimental project and has a ways to go before official support by MongoDB"

Does this mean that the mongo connector is not production ready? What production suitable setups are recommended to stabaly and reliable integrate mongodb with elastic search.
As well, what other alternatives to elastic search can be recommended that play nicely with mongodb?
In other words, I am looking for a strategy at this point to automatically create indexes and add search capability (by adding indexes etc to mongodb) in the same fashion that elastic search offers and need stable inegration here between mongo and that tool/strategy so that it is done automatically.

thanks,
Ron

Tugdual Grall

Jan 23, 2015, 11:25:43 AM1/23/15
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Today you do not have official/production connector for MongoDB to Elasticsearch. This is the case of the MongoDB Connector you are pointing at, or the Elasticsearch river. Both solutions have been used on many projects.

In addition, something that is very common too, is to integrate the two technology in your application code, meaning that each time you write (any write) something in MongoDB you do the same operation into Elasticsearch. This allow you also to have a better control of what you want to index (you can send only the fields you need, and create the proper mapping file for Elasticsearch),

@tgrall

amit....@phenompeople.com

Jul 24, 2016, 4:20:24 PM7/24/16
to mongodb-user
Hi Ron,

   I am also facing the same issue. Did you get any solution to sync data between mongodb and elasticsearch. I was using mongo-es-river to sync data between mongodb and es. Mongo River gets stale due to several reason like mongodb restart, es node restart. Once river goes to stale we have to again reindex the data. I think, I will get same issue in mongo connector also.  We want to sync data in real time.

Hakan

Jul 25, 2016, 1:26:51 PM7/25/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

You can give a try  mongolastic that lets you sync data between mongodb and elasticsearch.

Wan Bachtiar

Aug 12, 2016, 3:34:07 AM8/12/16
to mongodb-user

Mongo River gets stale due to several reason like mongodb restart, es node restart. Once river goes to stale we have to again reindex the data. I think, I will get same issue in mongo connector also.

Hi Amit,

You should try the mongo-connector whether it suits for your use case and application needs.

I did a simple test with MongoDB v3.2.8, ElasticSearch v2.3 and the latest mongo-connector currently at v2.4. After an ElasticSearch restart and a mongod restart, the connector is able to perform.

In regards to MongoDB, I would strongly recommend to deploy a replica set to provide redundancy and high availability for production deployments.

Regards,

Wan.