Migrating MongoDB users to SCRAM-SHA-1

Rhys Campbell

Jan 18, 2017, 9:54:28 AM1/18/17
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I'm just reading the procedure here...

Do this procedure cause any downtime for the users currently logged in? Will it cause exiting sessions to become invalid / disconnect?

Rhys

Kevin Adistambha

Jan 29, 2017, 10:41:47 PM1/29/17
to mongodb-user

Hi Rhys,

Do this procedure cause any downtime for the users currently logged in? Will it cause exiting sessions to become invalid / disconnect?

My quick testing (upgrading from 2.6.12 to 3.0.14) seems to indicate that there’s no interruption for currently-connected users. However, my test is pretty lightweight, which is continual insertion into a collection while running db.adminCommand({authSchemaUpgrade: 1}) on another terminal window. I found the inserts to be uninterrupted and the session is still connected and usable after auth schema upgrade, but you may want to double check with your workload to be certain.

Best regards,
Kevin

Rhys Campbell

Jan 31, 2017, 4:54:47 AM1/31/17
to mongodb-user

Thanks for your efforts Kevin.

Rhys

Scarlett Zuo

Jan 31, 2017, 10:37:15 AM1/31/17
to mongodb-user
Hi Rhys,

We were using 3.2.9 with MONGODB-CR. I upgraded it to SCRAM_SHA-1 and there was no downtime for us on the MongoDB side.

Scarlett

Rhys Campbell

Feb 17, 2017, 3:39:06 AM2/17/17
to mongodb-user