What does this error mean: System error 109 has occurred. The pipe has been ended.

Andrey

May 10, 2011, 3:29:10 PM5/10/11
to mongodb-user
I run MongoDB as Windows service in my test environment. Some times
when I manually stop the service (net stop MnogoDB) I get this error:

System error 109 has occurred. The pipe has been ended.

I'm wondering what it means? I am planning to run MongoDB on Windows
Server in production and I need to know if I might have any problems
with running it as Windows service there.

Any ideas are highly appreciated!

sridhar

May 10, 2011, 11:03:13 PM5/10/11
to mongodb-user
Hi,
Can I get answers to the following questions
What version of Mongo and Windows are you running?
Are you using mongod --install to install the windows service?
Have you seen this error if you stop the mongo service from the
service manager
Thanks

AdrianC

Apr 16, 2012, 3:56:01 PM4/16/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Any resolution to this?   I'm having the same problem.  I'm running version 2.0.4 on Windows Server 2008 x64.  I installed it using mongod --install and the service is registered but fails to start.  If I try to call it from the command line using "net start MongoDB".  It fails and gives me the "System error 109 has occurred.  The pipe has been ended." message.   The log generated at install says everything went fine.

AdrianC

Apr 16, 2012, 6:09:53 PM4/16/12
to mongodb-user
I made a mistake in my previous post. It does not throw the error
when starting the service. It starts but then stop and restarts, and
so on... meanwhile I can't connect to it. Finally when I use "net
stop MongoDB" it throws the error above.

Eliot Horowitz

Apr 17, 2012, 1:29:59 AM4/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Can you attache the full log?
Might

arpsmack

Apr 17, 2012, 10:58:31 PM4/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I'm also seeing this same error message when attempting to "net stop" and then "sc delete" a mongod Windows service.

I attached a copy of one of the logs from when this happens.
mongod-log.txt

arpsmack

Apr 17, 2012, 11:19:23 PM4/17/12
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Ug, I totally can't reproduce this either.  I just tried about 7-8 times and every time it stops and uninstalls fine.

Comparing the log I attached to one of the other logs when I was able to stop it just fine, it looks like there aren't any differences.  This probably won't help much, sorry.

sridhar

Apr 18, 2012, 3:56:34 PM4/18/12
to mongodb-user
This is basically bug https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/SERVER-2833.
This was fixed in 2.1.0. So if you do a net stop with 2.0.4 you will
still see the pipe ended error but not with 2.1.0. In 2.0.4 even with
the pipe ended error, the service is still stopped.