pymongo build system

Brian Armstrong

Nov 6, 2016, 8:01:37 AM11/6/16
to mongodb-dev
Hi!

I have kind of a meta-question about mongodb. I'm building my own Python package and I'd like to create builds for PyPI in the same way that pymongo has done. Specifically, I'd like to be able to target different Python versions and Operating Systems.

Does the source for pymongo's build system exist somewhere? Do you create all the build artifacts from a single location using cross-compiling or does it involve having actual hosts of each type?

Thanks and apologies for the somewhat off-topic question :)
Brian

Bernie Hackett

Nov 6, 2016, 11:18:24 PM11/6/16
to mongodb-dev
Hi Brian,

The source is available here:

I wouldn't recommend using it as your example though. It's a pretty complicated setup module, to deal with a number of things that most python packages will never have to worry about. This is a far better resource:

> Do you create all the build artifacts from a single location using cross-compiling or does it involve having actual hosts of each type?

We create binary packages (.whl and .egg) on OSX, Windows, and Linux. The only reason we have to create multiple binary packages is because PyMongo ships C extensions. If your project is pure python you only need to distribute a single .whl file. See the link above for more details.