MongoDB Ruby driver 1.12.0 released

Emily Stolfo

Jan 29, 2015, 11:32:08 AM1/29/15
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Version 1.12.0 of the MongoDB Ruby driver has been released.

This version includes full support for MongoDB 3.0.

See the list of changes here:
https://github.com/mongodb/mongo-ruby-driver/releases/tag/1.12.0

The driver can be installed using rubygems:

gem install mongo
gem install bson_ext (for the optional extension)

If you find any issues, please open a ticket in the JIRA Ruby driver project: https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/RUBY

Thanks

Emily and Durran

Matt Parlane

Feb 12, 2015, 8:16:52 PM2/12/15
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Quick question:

Is there any chance that the Ruby driver will ever have an option to return hashes with symbol keys instead of strings?

As you would know, symbols are faster and more memory-efficient than strings, and as of recently, they are also GC-able, so I thought it could be something you might look into.

Thanks,

Matt

Tyler Brock

Feb 12, 2015, 10:27:32 PM2/12/15
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
I originally designed the new BSON library (2.0) to be accept symbols and strings like Active Support's HashWithIndifferentAccess but I'm not sure if that is still there. Would have to defer to Durran.

Durran Jordan

Feb 13, 2015, 11:09:59 AM2/13/15
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
When the 2.0 Ruby driver is released, which uses BSON 2.3, you will be able to access the elements of a BSON::Document using symbol keys. Internally the keys will remain as strings, since converting the fields to symbols when returned from the database is a potential memory leak in the application. (Depending on the number of unique fields names the documents in each collection and database have.)