Studying the evolution of Mongodb project

Igor Steinmacher

Jun 7, 2016, 4:31:53 PM6/7/16
to mongo...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

I'm a researcher studying software evolution. As part of my current research, I'm studying the implications of open-sourcing a proprietary software, for instance, if the project succeed in attracting newcomers. Mongodb was in my list.

To further analyze the impacts of Mongodb migration, we analyzed the git log commit history of your project in terms of number of contributions, number of newcomers, and number of contributors per month. The following figure presents a temporal perspective regarding these three measures.

Given the numbers presented in the graphic, we would like to ask Mongodb developers the following questions:

1. What motivated the project to migrate to Github? How do you evaluate the benefits of this migration?
2. Does this snapshot make sense? Did you find any inconsistency on the data?
3. Do you have any internal policy to promote/attract/retain newcomers? If so, do them succeed?
4. Although there is a steady flow of newcomers joining the project, we found an increasing number of contributors in the project, which differs from the other analyzed projects. Is there any explanations for this high newcomers retention rate?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration,

Igor Steinmacher, PhD
http://www.igor.pro.br
--
Igor Fabio Steinmacher, Ph.D.
Professor in Dept. of Computing at Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná

Dan Pasette

Jun 7, 2016, 8:21:37 PM6/7/16
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor.
The graphic isn't rendering for me.

Dan

Igor Steinmacher

Jun 7, 2016, 8:27:10 PM6/7/16
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Dan,

trying to send it again

--
Igor Fabio Steinmacher, Ph.D.
Professor in Dept. of Computing at Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná

Gustavo Pinto

Jun 12, 2016, 10:09:40 AM6/12/16
to mongodb-dev
Hi Dan,

do you have any comments for our questions?

Thanks

Gustavo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mongodb-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mongodb-dev.

Dan Pasette

Jul 6, 2016, 12:56:16 AM7/6/16
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gustavo, this email got buried somehow.  Sorry for the delay.

1. What motivated the project to migrate to Github? How do you evaluate the benefits of this migration?

The project was on github very early after it was started.  The first release recorded in github is from June, 2008 (r0.0.3) and the first commit to the project was Oct 2007, so I don't believe there was a real before and after migration period to analyze.  Github itself was brand new at this point.

2. Does this snapshot make sense? Did you find any inconsistency on the data?

I don't see any key for the chart, so I'm not sure what all the lines refer in the chart refer to exactly.

3. Do you have any internal policy to promote/attract/retain newcomers? If so, do them succeed?

The MongoDB server team has been growing organically over time.  Also there are several MongoDB interns that join for only the summer months which may change the data.  In terms of outside contributors, over the last 3 years, we have had a more formal process for bringing in contributions, which has made the process less opaque.

4. Although there is a steady flow of newcomers joining the project, we found an increasing number of contributors in the project, which differs from the other analyzed projects. Is there any explanations for this high newcomers retention rate?

See the answer for #3.

Dan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mongodb-dev...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mongodb-dev.