12th Dec MoMoEdi: The Power of Conversation, or Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Mobile Messaging

Geoff Ballinger

Nov 17, 2016, 10:47:42 AM11/17/16
to MoMoEdinburgh
When creating mobile services, or the use of mobile as a channel to their customers for existing digital services, the main choices folks currently consider are between a mobile site or a native app or the various shades of grey in between.

Mobile devices were originally, and still are to a considerable degree, designed to support conversation and messaging; whether it be around voice, simple text messages, or richer media such as IM etc. This can often be a much more convenient and natural way to engage with a mobile user.

We will explore the opportunities this opens up, the challenges it presents, and why you should include messaging in your thinking when designing mobile services.

The use of messaging on mobile isn’t new - it is more that it has been forgotten about during the app revolution. Geoff Ballinger from deltaDNA spent many happy years rolling out SMS and MMS services in the 2000s and will remind us that these basic mechanisms still have a place in our toolbox alongside the newer and sexier alternatives.

Over the last few years there have been a huge expansion in richer messaging mechanisms on and around mobile. David Low and Richard Keen from Skyscanner will tell us about how they have successfully started to exploit these, initially through focussed partnerships with particular providers, and how they are now starting to draw these learnings into their core travel search products as their users adapt.

One key problem with chat as an interface is that it's unconstrained. It is easy to confuse a bot, and also easy for a bot to annoy a user. Daniel Winterstein from SoDash will consider understanding and sincerity vs automation, and look forward to the more sophisticated AIs and bots we may need. He'll also be demoing his new bot product: Orla, the social-media robot intern for SMEs.

As usual we will finish with an open discussion session followed by a networking reception with wine.

We will kick off at 6.30pm at the Business School:

This is a free event but places are limited so pre-registration is required via the Business School site:

For more details why not join the conversation on our group:

Twitter hashtag #MoMoEdi

Speaker Bios:

Geoff (@geoffballinger) has been involved with Scottish mobile, tech and entertainment startups for more years than he cares to admit. Fascinated by mobile, and technical scaling of startups, he is currently System Architect at game analytics and player marketing platform provider deltaDNA (https://deltadna.com).

David (@daviddlow) created and now leads the Developer Advocacy programme at Skyscanner (http://en.business.skyscanner.net/), the world’s travel search engine. In his role, David looks after external developer relations, working to grow the evangelist developer community around Skyscanner and the Skyscanner API. David began with Skyscanner nearly four years ago managing the company’s mobile products, including implementing a Best Practice standard. Prior to his Skyscanner life, David managed digital production at RBS and led product development at STV. David has worked on high-scale web sites and mobile apps for more than 15 years and has a particular passion for making digital products work 'anywhere’.

Richard (@richardkeen) is Mobile Architect at Skyscanner (https://www.skyscanner.net/) where he currently works with a team on conversational and natural language search through messaging bots and voice interaction. He has worked on high-scale web sites, APIs and mobile for 14 years, starting with maps and geo platforms at Multimap before joining Microsoft to work on the same. He’s since worked with a variety of startups and large organisations on social networks, a mobile assistant platform and media services. He has a passion for enabling innovative, useful experiences through API platforms.

Daniel (@winterstein) is the CTO at SoDash (http://sodash.com), and has worked on AI solutions for organisations ranging from Universal Music and Virgin to the UK government -- and several Edinburgh tech companies.

Garry D Irvine

Nov 17, 2016, 11:30:21 AM11/17/16
to momoed...@googlegroups.com

​Hi Geoff

Just so you know... I  tried the links and it seems that the Business School's website is down....
Hopefully it will be back up soon...

Garry​

--
My mobile number
UK: +44 7784 846944

Geoff Ballinger

Dec 13, 2016, 4:41:00 PM12/13/16
to MoMoEdinburgh
We had a good turnout on Monday and a lively conversation around the possibilities for messaging style interaction on mobile, both basic and sophisticated, and the opportunities and challenges it presents. Thanks again to Richard, Stefan and Daniel for their interesting presentations!

For those who missed it, or who want to see them again, the slide decks used are online at:

Geoff.