11th October MoMoEdi: Beyond progressive-enhancement, Steph Rieger, Yiibu

Geoff Ballinger

Oct 24, 2013, 1:57:44 AM10/24/13
to momoed...@googlegroups.com
After a gap of nearly two years I am delighted to announce MoMoEdi's next event which is being run in collaboration for Informatics Mobile Apps Group.

The time is 2020. The inflection point has long passed. Most web traffic is now coming from some manner of portable device. And if Google Chairman Eric Schmidt (and many others’) predictions have come true, we will have truly reached time where “…[technology] will just be seamless. It will just be there. The web will be everything, and it will be nothing. It will be like electricity.”

This presentation challenges us to think about the role of the web going forward. What steps must we take to build a world where interactions with the web are truly “seamless”? What would a seamless web even look like? How can we ensure the web remains strong amidst all the new technologies that are on the way.

Stephanie is a designer, researcher and closet anthropologist with a passion for the many ways people interact with technology. A mobile industry veteran with a keen eye on emerging technologies, she has developed experiences for companies such as Nokia, Microsoft, Intel, Phillips and the NHS. Stephanie speaks at conferences and presents workshops on mobile design and strategy all over the world. She is also co-founder and one of the principals at Yiibu, a wee design consultancy based in Edinburgh.

Having seen a number of Steph's superb talks over the years I can safely say she is a bit special - one of those inspirational presenters who can set all of the tech we work with day-to-day into a much wider and longer view of the future without loosing touch with the realities - highly recommended!

The event will be held in Inspace on Crichton Street kicking off at 6.30pm and you can sign up here:

Looking forward to seeing folks there on the 11th! Please do mention this event on twitter etc and recommend it to any friends and colleagues who are interested in mobile.

Geoff.

Geoff Ballinger

Oct 24, 2013, 9:16:06 AM10/24/13
to momoed...@googlegroups.com
You can tell I am on holiday - I was a month out with the original subject line - it should of course be 11th November.

I understand there may also be some issues with the eventbrite link and will post a further update once those are resolved,

Geoff Ballinger

Oct 24, 2013, 1:19:41 PM10/24/13
to momoed...@googlegroups.com
I am told the eventbrite page is now working as it should at:

Alan Settery

Oct 24, 2013, 1:46:24 PM10/24/13
to momoed...@googlegroups.com, momoed...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff and Steph

Yes, I corrected the glitch this afternoon  so all should be okay now.

There are about 20 people registered now - I'll keep you updated

If there is anything you need in the meanwhile please let me know

Thanks again
Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Geoff Ballinger

Oct 31, 2013, 10:57:19 AM10/31/13
to momoed...@googlegroups.com
Steph will now be overseas on the 11th unfortunately and won't be able to attend, but I am delighted to say that Bryan Rieger will be speaking in her place.

Bryan is a designer and reluctant developer with a past mired in theatre and animation. With over 15 years experience designing and developing software, Bryan's work has spanned many platforms including print, broadcast, web and mobile. Prior to founding Yiibu, Bryan led R&D at a startup in the broadband entertainment space and worked on early interactive multimedia prototypes for handheld entertainment consoles and devices. Bryan now divides his time between his own research, prototyping, and working internationally on mobile projects for clients such Nokia, Intel, Phillips, Vodafone, and Microsoft.

Do please pass on details of this event to anybody you know who might be interested,