Destination Local - hyperlocal media competition

Andy Hyde

May 1, 2012, 6:57:39 AM5/1/12
to MoMoEdinburgh
The ALISS project (www.aliss.org) is a Scottish Government funded
initiative, working to provide better local community support
information for those living with long term health conditions. We're
building an index of the resources held in numerous local directories
around Scotland, opening up the data and making it more findable and
shareable. Our hope is that others will use the ALISS Engine as a
platform to build new applications or to power existing services.

We like to partner with others to develop new solutions, using ALISS
technology and design processes to encourage innovation. With this in
mind we have offered ALISS as a data source and development partner
for several competitions recently - an example is NESTA's forthcoming
Destination Local competition (http://www.nesta.org.uk/areas_of_work/
creative_economy/destination_local).

"NESTA wants to understand the potential economic and social
opportunities for hyperlocal media in the UK. It has launched a new
programme - Destination Local - to understand and stimulate the
development of this emerging sector. As part of the programme, we
intend to fund 10 proposals that develop and test prototype services
for the next generation of hyperlocal media. In particular, we are
looking for prototypes that make the most of mobile technologies to
deliver geographically-relevant local media"

So, we're gathering local data and have some experience of working
with NHS Scotland, the voluntary sector and community groups - we also
work with partners with expertise in transport and mobility, service
design, healthcare and community development. If anyone is interested
in helping us to think through the development of mobile apps and
perhaps acting as a technology partner in any future competitions/
bids, do get in touch.