Good namespace for personal plugin?

Luc Didry

May 8, 2018, 9:44:01 AM5/8/18
to Mojolicious
Hello,

I have a few plugins that I wrote for my softwares and that I use
amongst different projects. They are not published on CPAN.

For now, I copy them in my projects and I have to update in my
differents projects each time they evolve.

A better way for that would be to publish them and update them from
CPAN.

1. Would it be an acceptable thing? (I don't want to pollute CPAN or
Mojolicious::Plugin namespace)
2. What would be a good namespace for those plugins? Would
Mojolicious::Plugin::XXX::NameOfThePlugin be OK? (with XXX something
personal)

Thanks for advices.
--
Luc
https://fiat-tux.fr/

Flavio Poletti

May 8, 2018, 10:25:46 AM5/8/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
Il mar 8 mag 2018, 15:44 Luc Didry <l...@didry.org> ha scritto:
2. What would be a good namespace for those plugins? Would
Mojolicious::Plugin::XXX::NameOfThePlugin be OK? (with XXX something personal)

Not sure why "XXX" and "personal": if it's worth sharing, make it general and ask advice about the best name unless it's already clear to you.

Ciao, Flavio.

John Scoles

May 8, 2018, 10:27:21 AM5/8/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

In a word 'yes' it is a bad idea

http://prepan.org/

PrePAN provides a place to discuss your modules. Are there any similar ones? I'm not confident about the implementation... How can I distribute the module in keeping with CPAN's conventions?

is a good place to check such things.

Personal namespaces are to be avoided except where there are encouraged

Such as in Dist-Zilla plugin bundles

I might be acceptable to but all of you stuff in a top name-space like Mojolicious::Che or alike but then I dont' control it

I have a few plugins that I wrote for my softwares and that I use
amongst different projects. They are not published on CPAN.

For now, I copy them in my projects and I have to update in my
differents projects each time they evolve.

A better way for that would be to publish them and update them from
CPAN.

1. Would it be an acceptable thing? (I don't want to pollute CPAN or
Mojolicious::Plugin namespace)
2. What would be a good namespace for those plugins? Would
Mojolicious::Plugin::XXX::NameOfThePlugin be OK? (with XXX something
personal)

Thanks for advices.
--
Luc
https://fiat-tux.fr/
Le 14 juillet 2016, j’ai lancé mes pages Tipeee et Libe­ra­pay.. La récom­pense de base est l’ap­pa­ri­tion sur une page mensuelle de remer­cie­ments… voici celle de mars !

https://luc.frama.io/
Internet n'est pas compliqué, Internet est ce que vous en faites.

Илья Рассадин

May 8, 2018, 10:37:44 AM5/8/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

If you sure that your modules has no value outside your projects, cpan is not right place to store them.

You could use darkpan to install your local modules, centralize updates and so on.

Such modules can be installed via cpanm/carton/carmel

See https://metacpan.org/pod/Carton#Specifying-a-CPAN-distribution

Luc Didry

May 8, 2018, 11:40:11 AM5/8/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
mardi 8 mai 2018, 14:25:34 CEST Flavio Poletti wrote:
> Not sure why "XXX" and "personal": if it's worth sharing, make it
> general and ask advice about the best name unless it's already clear
> to you.

Well, those plugins don't have any real value: they're just here to
lighten my startup subroutine.

They are basically glue between existing projects and my config file,
or some common helpers I wrote that I often use. Nothing really
useful for anyone but me.

Here's some examples:
https://framagit.org/luc/lstu/blob/master/lib/Lstu/Plugin/Headers.pm
https://framagit.org/luc/lutim/blob/master/lib/Lutim/Plugin/Lang.pm

I already published the plugins that can be useful to anyone.

Luc Didry

May 8, 2018, 11:46:01 AM5/8/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com
mardi 8 mai 2018, 17:37:39 CEST Илья Рассадин wrote:
> If you sure that your modules has no value outside your projects,
> cpan is not right place to store them.
>
> You could use darkpan to install your local modules, centralize
> updates and so on.
>
> Such modules can be installed via cpanm/carton/carmel
>
> See https://metacpan.org/pod/Carton#Specifying-a-CPAN-distribution

Thank you!

I can't believe that I use Carton for my projects and didn't notice
it. Thank you very much! With the url option and Gitlab CI artifacts,
it will be very easy.
--
Luc
https://fiat-tux.fr/