Install/Uninstall

Tb Thomas

May 17, 2018, 3:32:54 AM5/17/18
to Mojolicious
Attempting to check out the basic example applications, ran across this:

Installation

While you’re at it why don’t you try Galileo on your home system?

With a relatively modern Perl simply run

cpan -i Galileo

or (if you run with the new crowd)

cpanm Galileo

note: you may have to run these as root depending on your system’s configuration

Then configure in your browser after running

galileo setup

Finally start your server

galileo daemon

Fork me on GitHub

First I installed cpanm (cause "that's what all the cool kids are using").

Then: cpanm Galileo

Got a warning that I needed to be root (no "Continue?" prompt), it just continued on for about 20 minutes installing a bunch of dependencies and running tests on them. I figured better to let it finish than abort, then uninstall and start over...

But, no such luck. Apparently 'uninstalling' isn't considered a priority (albeit, cpan does keep a list, but not cpanm).

Before we can safely install 'big Perl applications' (with numerous dependencies and version-specific features) perhaps we need an installation system capable of cleanly installing and/or uninstalling those big apps. (Consider that a suggestion for a future 'Mojolicious' project !;)

sri

May 17, 2018, 3:50:55 AM5/17/18
to Mojolicious
Before we can safely install 'big Perl applications' (with numerous dependencies and version-specific features) perhaps we need an installation system capable of cleanly installing and/or uninstalling those big apps. (Consider that a suggestion for a future 'Mojolicious' project !;)

a) cpanm -U exists, b) just use local::lib, c) or Carton

--
sebastian

Flavio Poletti

May 17, 2018, 5:33:21 AM5/17/18
to mojol...@googlegroups.com

Then: cpanm Galileo

Got a warning that I needed to be root (no "Continue?" prompt), it just continued on for about 20 minutes installing a bunch of dependencies and running tests on them. I figured better to let it finish than abort, then uninstall and start over...

The warning was probably a bit more verbose, and it's why you didn't see any "Continue?" prompt. cpanm falls back on installing modules in "$HOME/perl5" if it can't install them in the "official positions".

But, no such luck. Apparently 'uninstalling' isn't considered a priority (albeit, cpan does keep a list, but not cpanm).

I honestly wonder who uses "uninstall" nowadays. The approach by many people is to install stuff in a localized library and avoid cluttering the "shared" space (where e.g. upgrading a module might break something in another program). Some people (me included sometimes) arrive to compile a separate perl completely.

cpanm makes it extremely easy to install stuff in a local library with the "-l" option; Carton is another idea to do that (it uses cpanm behind the scenes).

Anyway, in your specific case you should probably just be fine deleting "$HOME/perl5", which was created by cpanm as a result of you *not* being root during installation.

Before we can safely install 'big Perl applications' (with numerous dependencies and version-specific features) perhaps we need an installation system capable of cleanly installing and/or uninstalling those big apps. (Consider that a suggestion for a future 'Mojolicious' project !;)

As I was saying, I guess many people don't bother uninstalling nowadays, but install stuff in localized directories or in custom perls. This makes uninstalling a breeze (just delete the whole installation directory and you're done). I see this as part of the mind shift from pets to cattle.

For Mojolicious projects I always install it in a local directory, usually creating a cpanfile and then letting Carton do its job.

Ciao,

    Flavio.