mod_spdy prevents SSLVerifyClient from working

d...@threerings.org.uk

May 4, 2014, 6:37:14 AM5/4/14
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com
I have the following fragment in my <VirtualHost>:

  <Location /auth/key>
    SSLVerifyClient require
    SSLOptions +ExportCertData
    SSLVerifyDepth 1
  </Location>

With mod_spdy disabled, this works fine - requests to /auth/key require that an SSL client certificate is presented, and then the details of that certificate are passed on to my application.

With mod_spdy enabled, these directives are ignored, and the client certificate is neither required nor passed to the application.

Is anybody aware of a workaround to this? Without it, we're going to have to roll back and stop using mod_spdy. :-(

Ryan Sleevi

May 4, 2014, 1:03:46 PM5/4/14
to mod-spdy...@googlegroups.com

> --

The SPDY spec is clear (as is the ongoing HTTP/2.0 work) that it is conceptually incompatible with TLS renegotiation.

ModSSL directives within Location directives - as opposed to top-level VirtualHost/Server directives - forces TLS Renegotiation to occur. The most common way to force renegotiation is what you are doing - path based authorization - but that does not work with SPDY.

There is work investigating this - eg, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-httpbis-catch - but at present, you cannot carve out such URLs as SPDY-exempt, nor can you do TLS Renego, so you are correct that SPDY is not suitable for your use case.