ModPagespeed recent problems

Frederic Steinfels

Jul 13, 2016, 3:50:57 AM7/13/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi

I have been using mod pagespeed for years without changing its configuration. I have even reported various bugs in the bugtracker of which all have been fixed. I was even using the beta version. However, this bug I have problems reproducing and correctly reporting. Please help.

At some point (maybe half a year ago) I had to go back to the stable version due to mod pagespeed making "mistakes" when combining javascript and css after running for some time on some sessions. I resolved this issue by downgrading from mod-pagespeed to mod-pagespeed-stable. I am using the mod-pagespeed repository on Fedora 24.

Yesterday I even ran into problems with mod-pagespeed-stable making it necessary for me to completely uninstall it. My website was unresponsive for maybe 50% of the time. There were always a few minutes of unresponiveness followed by minutes normal operation. When it was unresponsive, apache reported this:

[Wed Jul 13 09:06:59.538455 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 30589] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: [client xxx:64912] couldn't create child process: 11: shop, referer: xxx
[Wed Jul 13 09:06:59.538472 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 30589] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: [client xxx:64912] AH01223: couldn't spawn child process: /home/shop/www/cgi-bin/shop, referer: xxx

My server has 64 gigs of ram and enough resources. After having uninstalled mod pagespeed, everything seems to be fine. Is there somebody willing to help me on debugging this?

Regards

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 13, 2016, 6:22:36 AM7/13/16
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Did the periodic unresponsiveness start right away after upgrading to the stable release?
Or did this release run fine for some time first?

Maybe the system was running out of file descriptors. To debug/confirm that, the top answer here may help:

If running out of fd's is your problem, you could try:
- increasing the system limits. (mod_pagespeed needs to fetch the original css/js/images and needs file descriptors for that)
- reduce load by randomly dropping optimizations [1]

Otto

Frederic Steinfels

Jul 13, 2016, 11:52:56 AM7/13/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I am sorry, I have to confess that the same problem reappeared after some time with mod pagespeed uninstalled. It seems there are multiple problems and I first need to figure out which one is caused by whom.