Mod_Pagespeed keeps browser caching my files for 365 days & doesn't allow htaccess settings to work!

Kipling Buis

Mar 28, 2017, 2:50:00 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,

I don't know why but mod_pagespeed keeps setting the browser caching time for 365 days!

So I did lots and lots of research and added the following two lines in the pagespeed.conf file:

ModPagespeedModifyCachingHeaders off
ModPagespeedDisableFilters extend_cache

I even flushed cache but still all my .css, .jpg, .js files are being browser cached for 365 days. I even tried only one of the directives in pagespeed.conf but no luck.

When I turn off mod_pagespeed, the htaccess settings are in force.

How do I set mod_pagespeed to stop setting this browser cache values?!

Kipling Buis

Mar 28, 2017, 2:54:46 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
And I'm using the latest stable mod_pagespeed for Apache Release 1.11.33.4-stable ... Obviously there is a bug..

Joshua Marantz

Mar 28, 2017, 2:55:59 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
The ability to cache-extend your resources to one year without hindering your ability to update resources when you need to is one of the key features of mod_pagespeed :)

Please see the doc for extend_cache for details:   https://modpagespeed.com/doc/filter-cache-extend

Having said that, if you don't want mod_pagespeed to make the browser cache more effective, you can use OptimizeForBandwidth mode.  In this case, mod_pagespeed won't alter any of the URLs in your site, it will just make the resources smaller.

Kipling Buis

Mar 28, 2017, 3:50:32 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
But why are extend cache amd header directives not working?

Kipling Buis

Mar 28, 2017, 3:50:32 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss

Kipling Buis

Mar 28, 2017, 3:50:36 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss

Joshua Marantz

Mar 28, 2017, 4:49:47 PM3/28/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Disabling extend_cache does not disable the cache extension that's done by the css/image/js rewriters & combiners.  You'd have to disable those too, or use OptimizeForBandwidth as I suggested.

the ModPagespeedModifyCachingHeaders directive is only for HTML.

But I still want to know why you don't want browser-caching to be extended to 1 year.