Unfamiliar directories in /var/cache/mod_pagespeed/v3/ directory

Sucrose

Aug 4, 2017, 8:20:13 PM8/4/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Today I went to clear the cache for my website and when I navigated into the /var/cache/mod_pagespeed/v3/ directory, I noticed a couple directories named with unfamiliar domain names that were created today:
Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

Server OS:
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-87-generic x86_64)

Packages installed:
  • python-certbot-apache
  • php-curl
  • goaccess
  • denyhosts

Otto van der Schaaf

Aug 5, 2017, 4:37:46 PM8/5/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
First, deleting the files in the cache directory is not the way to go if you want to clear the cache. See:

As for your question: If you don't restrict the hostnames that a pagespeed-enabled vhost responds to, mod_pagespeed may write entries for request to any hostname, if in-place resource optimization is enabled. So maybe you are seeing artifacts of automated processes crawling the server. These cache entries don't cause any harm, but you could get rid of them by one of the following:

- Restricting the hostnames that the pagespeed enabled vhost responds to in Apache's configuration
- Change what mod_pagespeed allows in rewrting to be exclusive, and whitelist the domain(s) you want to allow: https://modpagespeed.com/doc/restricting_urls#disallow
- Turn off in-place resource optimization (which is the feature that is writing the entries you see into the cache)

Otto