doing a lab with page speed - couple of questions

Hernán Marsili

Mar 30, 2014, 12:14:02 AM3/30/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm experimenting with MOD_PAGESPEED at get it to work pretty straight forward. I have a couple of questions:

1) I enable jpg to webp conversion and works perfectly. I was unable to change the expiration though. It always set in 5 minutes. I tried overriding with vhost directives (added the mime type and the add type expiration) but no luck.

2) the module was clearly working (URL changed, serving webp files, etc), however, the /var/cache/pagespeed directory was completely EMPTY. Where are the webp files generated? in memory?

3) the basic standard cache, I as I read on the documents is disk based. The memory cache is RAM DISK based or there is in-memory cache?

4) most importantly, and depending on question 3, is this a replacement for MOD_MEM_CACHE?

Regards
Hernán

Joshua Marantz

Mar 30, 2014, 10:59:35 AM3/30/14
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
What version of mod_pagespeed are you using?

The 5-minute private symptom occurs when the server serving the WEBP files generates a different WEBP file (via md5 sum) than the one that rewrote the URL in the HTML file.  That may happen due to inconsistent image compression settings between two servers in a multi-server setup, or between the images vhost and the html vhost.

The webp files are stored in some cache, by default the file cache.  But if you configure pagespeed to use memcached then they won't show up in the file system.  Is that the case for you?

The default in-memory cache configuration changed in 1.7.  Prior to 1.7 there was only an in-memory L1 cache if you configured it, and starting in 1.7 there is a shared memory cache configured by default.

I don't think mod_pagespeed is a replacement for modules whose goal is to cache HTML files, usually to reduce the amount of PHP being called.  The two solutions are complementary.

-Josh

Hernán Marsili

Mar 30, 2014, 1:11:38 PM3/30/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm using the latest version. I installed it following this: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/download?hl=de

I'm using the default config, so I was assuming the FILE CACHE was enabled. This is the config file I'm using: http://pastebin.com/PN58uJAX

Regarding pagespeed to be a replacement for MOD_MEM_CACHED or MOD_DISK_CACHE, if you use those primarily for STATIC CONTENT such as images, I don't see much difference based on what I wrote. Actually, the in-memory cache for pagespeed seems pretty similar to mod_mem_cache.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Hernán Marsili <hmar...@tfsla.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm experimenting with MOD_PAGESPEED at get it to work pretty straight forward. I have a couple of questions:

1) I enable jpg to webp conversion and works perfectly. I was unable to change the expiration though. It always set in 5 minutes. I tried overriding with vhost directives (added the mime type and the add type expiration) but no luck.

2) the module was clearly working (URL changed, serving webp files, etc), however, the /var/cache/pagespeed directory was completely EMPTY. Where are the webp files generated? in memory?

3) the basic standard cache, I as I read on the documents is disk based. The memory cache is RAM DISK based or there is in-memory cache?

4) most importantly, and depending on question 3, is this a replacement for MOD_MEM_CACHE?

Regards
Hernán

Joshua Marantz

Mar 31, 2014, 9:01:52 AM3/31/14
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Hernán Marsili <hmar...@tfsla.com> wrote:
Hi!

I'm using the latest version. I installed it following this: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/download?hl=de

Can you check the version number with:
   wget -O - --save-headers YOURSITE|grep X-Mod

The download page URL, which you gave above, doesn't change even when we upgrade, which we did last week.

I'm using the default config, so I was assuming the FILE CACHE was enabled. This is the config file I'm using: http://pastebin.com/PN58uJAX

Yes, that's right, the file cache is the default.  Can you send your pagespeed.conf?  That should tell us where the file cache is located, if not /var/cache/pagespeed.

Regarding pagespeed to be a replacement for MOD_MEM_CACHED or MOD_DISK_CACHE, if you use those primarily for STATIC CONTENT such as images, I don't see much difference based on what I wrote. Actually, the in-memory cache for pagespeed seems pretty similar to mod_mem_cache.

In that case, you don't need to use a separate Apache module just for caching of resources that mod_pagespeed would optimize anyway, as mod_pagespeed will cache those itself.

-Josh

Hernán Marsili

Mar 31, 2014, 9:38:53 AM3/31/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua,

The version is:
X-Mod-Pagespeed1.7.30.4-3847

Please, find attached the conf file and a screenshoot of the empty /var/cache/mod_pagespeed. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6vjczgy3xre7uk/Screenshot%202014-03-31%2010.38.32.jpg
pagespeed.txt

Joshua Marantz

Mar 31, 2014, 9:46:27 AM3/31/14
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I agree this looks strange, and probaby something is wrong.  Perhaps the Apache process does not have write-permission to the cache directory in your setup.  In that case I'd expect to see some noise in the logs (/var/log/apache2/error.log or something like that).  Do you see any messages about being unable to write cache files?

In that case, the webp files might be being re-generated on the fly every time they are fetched, which would not be good for latency or server performance.

-Josh

Hernán Marsili

Mar 31, 2014, 10:09:37 AM3/31/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
You were right, was a permission issue!

Saludos,
Hernán.

logo tfs

http://www.cms-medios.com | http://blog.tfsla.com | facebook.com/cmsmedios
cel +54 [911] 4945 2272 | skype hmarsili | Linkedin ar.linkedin.com/in/hmarsili
Suscribite a nuestras novedades por e-mail o RSS feed o Twitter @tfsla  >>

Argentina +54 11 4711-8999 | USA +1 305 722-5130 | México +52 55 5350-1090 | España +34 93 179-0330 | El Salvador +503 21 13-9730 | Venezuela +58 212 335-1180 | Colombia +57 1 508-7840