combine_javascript not combining all files

Chris Vanek

Aug 8, 2017, 7:43:25 AM8/8/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss

Hi,

I'm using 1.12.34.2-0 of google mod page speed.

The issue I'm facing is that even though combine_javascript is enabled I get the following for all the sites hosted on the server with it enabled. Is there a way I can get these all combined into fewer files still?

Regards

Joshua Marantz

Aug 8, 2017, 8:43:55 AM8/8/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
There are two limiting factors: the length of the combined URL, and the size of the combined file.  The max file size is controlled via

ModPagespeedMaxCombinedJsBytes MaxBytes

and I think it's set to 90kb by default based on experimentation done a few years ago.  That is, having fewer large files made our tests slower.  You could try to increase it but I'm not sure it will benefit your users.

The URL length limit is based on issues we've seen in proxies, and may be a bit conservative.  You can control that with:

ModPagespeedMaxSegmentLength 1500
But I'd first look at whether you need all those scripts! That's a lot of scripts there, especially considering you've already combined some of them.