Problems with PHP

Jemaleddin Cole

Mar 29, 2014, 3:29:30 PM3/29/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
I had pagespeed installed and running on a VPS with php5-fpm, and everything was fine, so of course I decided to upgrade. I think I made a terrible mistake in doing so - I couldn't find any info on upgrades, so I just went through the install process again (about a year after the original install). Afterwards:

a) the conf files were now in /usr/local/nginx/conf instead of /etc/nginx which took some sorting out, and
b) PHP now fails silently. Any page that requires PHP just returns nothing and throws no errors.

Realizing that installing it this way may have just borked something, I backed up my data, re-provisioned the VPS with Ubuntu 13 and started over. I installed mysql, php, and nginx with page speed. I turned off apache and got nginx working with service. After getting my data and configuration files all back in place, I find that static sites still work:

...and my INCREDIBLY (embarrassingly) simple PHP sites don't:

Moreover, when I look in /usr/local/nginx/logs, there aren't even any entries for that domain. nginx -t says everything is fine. Here's the relevant bits of the conf file for that site:

Pretty simple stuff, no? Has anything changed that much in the last year that I'm now doing something dumb?

Thanks for any help. I'm not much of a server guy, so this is pretty close to the limit of my abilities.

Jemal

Otto van der Schaaf

Mar 31, 2014, 12:19:18 PM3/31/14
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the headers of both websites you mention and the configuration you posted, it looks like ngx_pagespeed is never actually turned on.
Which makes me think that the problem might not be specific to ngx_pagespeed.

I suspect a problem in the php setup. Things to check:
- Are the php files readable by php5-fpm?
- Are you passing the correct variables to php [1]?
It might help to take a look at php5-fpm's log files, to see if there is anything noteworthy over there (and perhaps also increase the logging verbosity temporarily).

Otto