Modpagespeed running on Apache messing Google Adsense earnings!

Kipling Buis

Oct 10, 2016, 4:49:10 AM10/10/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,

I have the following configuration on my site for modpagespeed running with Apache Centos linux:

========
ModPagespeedDisableFilters rewrite_javascript
ModPagespeedDisableFilters extend_cache

ModPagespeedEnableFilters prioritize_critical_css

ModPagespeedEnableFilters defer_javascript
ModPagespeedEnableFilters sprite_images

ModPagespeedDisableFilters convert_png_to_jpeg,convert_jpeg_to_webp
ModPagespeedDisableFilters inline_images
ModPagespeedEnableFilters collapse_whitespace,remove_comments
==========

For the last 2-3 days my google adsense earnings have gone down by 40%. Can anyone please help me why this is messing up if it is?

Is defer_javascript messing my google adsense js code? What should I check to fix this?

Thanks!
Kip

Kipling Buis

Oct 10, 2016, 5:06:13 AM10/10/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I also want to say that the Google Adsense ads are displaying fine on the page. I'm using CloudFlare as CDN as well.

Joshua Marantz

Oct 10, 2016, 8:26:33 AM10/10/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Is there a correlation with the drop in revenue with a change in mod_pagespeed configuration?

I'm not aware of any particular incompatibilities between defer_javascript and Adsense, but Adsense (& browsers) are a moving target and it's possible something changed.

If you are able to see revenue changes in a day granularity, then it might be worth temporarily disabling defer_javascript to see if it comes back.  Alternatively, you could mark the Adsense scripts as exempt from deferral by adding the 'data-pagespeed-no-defer' attribute to the adsense script tag(s).

-Josh

Kipling Buis

Oct 10, 2016, 12:27:23 PM10/10/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks Josh I'll check the earnings for a few days and revert back