Should we not use sprites anymore?

Dmitrii Kustov

Feb 6, 2015, 5:00:26 PM2/6/15
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Hello, everybody. Here is some confusing information i've found out recently:

Apparently, with proper use of inlining images, which would be this filter:

ModPagespeedImageInlineMaxBytes MaxBytes

Pages would actually load faster than whenever we use spriting:

ModPagespeedEnableFilters rewrite_css,sprite_images

It's actually very much surprising, but, at the same time makes sense, since bigger sprites can't be inlined, and at the same time. sprites "eat up" alt tags and other SEO-friendly goodies.

So, what's worse - make server spend some time working a little harder on inlining images (considering that server speed is always is about the same, times spent would be also always the same) or rely on "superfast" Internet connections, which can depend on whether it's raining outside or not?

Here is the research, saying that it can be up to 60% faster not to use sprites with Pagespeed Module: sprites are bad for SEO?!

Jeff Kaufman

Feb 9, 2015, 9:45:42 AM2/9/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
If you ran an experiment and found that your pages loaded faster with
inlining images instead of spriting then you should go with inlining.
Spriting decreases round trips from N to 1, while inlining decreases
them from N to 0. On the other hand, inline images can do much more
to slow down scripts the rest of your page. This means that there's
not one answer for all sites, and running tests on your site is the
best way to go.

You might find the experiment module helpful for automating these
experiments and collecting real-world data:
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/module-run-experiment

Dmitrii Kustov

Feb 9, 2015, 9:55:49 AM2/9/15
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com