tons of "remembering recent failure for XXX seconds" lines

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

Jul 28, 2016, 7:23:43 AM7/28/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,
I'm trying to get mod_pagespeed to work for the Apache httpd and while the module itself seems to work fine it seems to have problems with even trivial stuff.
I've create a folder "test" in the document root with a trivial index.html file but when I access the test folder in the browser I get the following entry in the log:

What is mod_pagespeed trying to tell me with this? What failure is it talking about?

Regards,
  Dennis

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 28, 2016, 7:50:24 AM7/28/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
mod_pagespeed is trying to tell you that it failed to fetch a resource from a webserver via http.

When mod_pagespeed fetches a file, it mentions "mod_pagespeed" in the user-agent header, which should show up in the access logs.

Assuming that the fetches target a server you have access to, the target webserver's access logs may tell you more about the specific failure that mod_pagespeed ran into.

Also, for static files, mod_pagespeed offers an alternative to http fetching: loading files directly from disk:

Otto

Joshua Marantz

Jul 28, 2016, 8:06:50 AM7/28/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I also want to point out that the message you pasted is an "Info" message; it doesn't necessarily indicate anything is wrong.  mod_pagespeed is just logging it tried to fetch that file and couldn't find it.

-Josh

Gustavo Maia

Joshua Marantz

Oct 14, 2016, 8:27:57 AM10/14/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
A probable cause is that mod_pagespeed is unable to use an HTTP fetch from your server to find the resource.  This might be due to your DNS setup.  A remedy is to map origin domains:

or to have mod_pagespeed load resources directly from the file system:

-Josh