Not all images are optimised

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii

Jul 25, 2015, 9:22:54 PM7/25/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi all,

Site is http://www.beltsfromoz.com.au

While most images ae optimised, PageSpeed insights shows that some images are not optimised. Looking at the images, I can see that some were processed by mod_pagespeed, while others were not -- for non-processed images I see normal image URL.

I tried to set ModPagespeedImgMaxRewritesAtOnce to 0, thinking that server is processing too many images, but that did not help.

Thanks,
Rudolf

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii

Jul 26, 2015, 12:06:22 AM7/26/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, ruma...@gmail.com
I run page with debug turned on.

On unpotimised images, I get:
deadline_exceeded for filter CacheExtender
deadline_exceeded for filter ImageRewrite

Thanks,
Rudolf

Joshua Marantz

Jul 26, 2015, 5:44:24 PM7/26/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, ruma...@gmail.com
The way mod_pagespeed works is that it tries to ensure the best experience for end-users by optimizing images in the background and storing them in a server-side cache.  It only delivers optimized images to clients if the image can be fetched and optimized within a bounded amount of time, which defaults to 10 milliseconds.  Often, an image-rich web-page is not fully optimized until a few seconds after it is first viewed.

So what you are observing is in fact the intended behavior.  Wait a short while and then try again; the site should be fully optimized.

-Josh

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii

Jul 27, 2015, 3:29:27 AM7/27/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, jmar...@google.com
Thanks Josh,

This makes sense.
Also makes sense that my PageSpeed Insights results are different every time I hit refresh. Some images are dynamically shown, randomly selected from larger list. Until they all cached, I will see same.

Rudolf

Jan-Willem Maessen

Jul 27, 2015, 8:21:39 AM7/27/15
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, Joshua Marantz
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 3:29 AM, Rudolf Ladyzhenskii <ruma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Josh,

This makes sense.
Also makes sense that my PageSpeed Insights results are different every time I hit refresh. Some images are dynamically shown, randomly selected from larger list. Until they all cached, I will see same.

Right.  It'll take a little while (if your cache is large enough) to hit a stable point.  I'll also note that in addition to setting a deadline, mod_pagespeed also throttles the total number of image rewrites at a time to PageSpeedMaxImageRewritesAtOnce to avoid crippling your server.  So on image-rich pages like yours it may be taking a bit longer than usual to get to all of them.

-Jan