mod_pagespeed stops working (for static resources) after moving to HTTPS

Ramesh Kumar

Feb 16, 2017, 12:34:57 AM2/16/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi

Lately, I have been working on two Digital Ocean droplets (WordPress + Ubuntu 16.04) and using mod_pagespeed. Until websites were unsecured (as Chrome 56 comes with SSL remark for a non-secure version of websites), mod_pagespeed has no problem, but as I added SSL to the duo, the one breaks while other just works fine.

Both servers have an identical configuration and exact versions of Apache, Ubuntu and PageSpeed module.

FYI, PageSpeed is still working on the server in question, but not for static resources like CSS, JS and images (nothing like something.pagespeed.hash.css or js).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maksim Orlovich

Feb 16, 2017, 8:52:10 AM2/16/17
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Maybe check if the certificate path in the configuration is correct?
The default in the config file is based on
older Ubuntu version, maybe they moved stuff around.

See https://modpagespeed.com/doc/https_support the "configuring SSL
certificates" section
(which sadly doesn't have an anchor for some reason).

Also there may be messages about ssl fetch errors at the info level....

Ramesh Kumar

Feb 17, 2017, 11:47:32 AM2/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
 ModPagespeedFetchHttps enable works like a charm, but I wonder -- as per docs -- HTTPS fetching is built in and is enabled by default as of 1.10.33.0.

Otto van der Schaaf

Feb 17, 2017, 2:53:43 PM2/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
If one out of two identical servers is able to perform https fetching without changing any of its mod_pagespeed configuration, that implies that https fetching should be enabled by default for the other one as well. So I would not expect "ModPagespeedFetchHttps enable" to have any effect, unless it is explicitly disabled elsewhere in the configuration.

Otto