Announcing mod_pagespeed beta 1.13.35.1 release

Otto van der Schaaf

Nov 8, 2017, 5:04:17 PM11/8/17
to mod-pagespe...@googlegroups.com, mod-pagespeed-discuss

The PageSpeed team is pleased to announce a new beta release, version 1.13.35.1. This release adds a number of features, including support for Content Security Policies. It also contains a number of enhancements and bug fixes.

The webp decoder in Chrome is being updated to correct an issue where it can’t play an animation exactly once, and requires an encoder update.

Please see our release notes for more detailed information:

https://www.modpagespeed.com/doc/release_notes#release_1.13.35.1-beta

“ModPagespeed off” is now deprecated and has been replaced with “ModPagespeed standby”.

If you are currently on the beta channel, update using your usual method.

* If you installed the .rpm package, update with:

  sudo yum update mod-pagespeed-beta

  sudo /etc/init.d/httpd restart

* If you installed the .deb package, update with:

  sudo apt-get update

  sudo apt-get upgrade

  sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

If you are currently on the stable channel and would like to switch to the beta channel, first uninstall mod_pagespeed and install the beta package from:

  https://www.modpagespeed.com/doc/download

Otto van der Schaaf

PageSpeed Team

David Scherfgen

Nov 8, 2017, 7:08:01 PM11/8/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Hi Otto,

when trying to install this latest beta version on Ubuntu 12.04, I'm getting the following error:

 mod-pagespeed-beta : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17) but 2.15-0ubuntu10.20 is to be installed

Did you give up support for Ubuntu 12.04 with that latest release?
It always worked fine for me before.

Joshua Marantz

Nov 8, 2017, 9:35:32 PM11/8/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Please see https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life, which describes Ubuntu 12 as being in a special state "Extended security maintenance for Ubuntu Advantage customers".  But I think we should probably update the release notes to indicate that specifically.

I assume you are still running with the previous release, because it failed in the package-dependency check phase.

-Josh

David Scherfgen

Nov 9, 2017, 2:42:03 AM11/9/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Is it really necessary to depend on the newer glibc? The changelog doesn't seem to indicate any "dramatic" change.
There are still quite a few people running 12.04, that's why Canonical decided to prolong support for at least one more year for customers willing to pay (including myself).

Otto van der Schaaf

Nov 9, 2017, 3:33:08 AM11/9/17
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
We use GCE instances to build releases. The Ubuntu 12.04 image we used to bootstrap the VM's with got removed when 12.04 reached end of life, so the build was performed on Ubuntu 14 which I think is what causes the module to depend on the newer glibc:
I'll update the release notes to clearly make note of this.

It is still possible to build from source on 12.04, and technically it is possible to add back support for 12.04 if we switched the image used to build the releases on back.. but I am not sure we can do that on GCE.

Otto

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 at 08:42, 'David Scherfgen' via mod-pagespeed-discuss <mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is it really necessary to depend on the newer glibc? The changelog doesn't seem to indicate any "dramatic" change.
There are still quite a few people running 12.04, that's why Canonical decided to prolong support for at least one more year for customers willing to pay (including myself).

David Scherfgen

Nov 9, 2017, 3:56:15 AM11/9/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks for clarifying!
It would be sad to drop 12.04 support if it's just a "technicality".
Anyway, I might try to build it myself.

David Scherfgen

Nov 9, 2017, 12:47:17 PM11/9/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Just to let you know: I managed to build it myself (using a Docker image of Ubuntu 12.04), created a DEB package and successfully installed it on the production server. The build instructions are very well written, only a few minor changes were required.