Building the PageSpeed Optimization Development Community

Joshua Marantz

May 31, 2017, 1:01:15 PM5/31/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com, mod-pagespeed-announce, ngx-pagespe...@googlegroups.com

Google launched mod_pagespeed in 2010 to provide free open-source technology to automate deployment of best practices for web front end delivery.  Since that time, the module has gained broad adoption, with hundreds of thousands of installs including 1.2% of the top 10k sites. Google’s control of the PageSpeed Optimization Libraries made it easier to deploy them in Google products such as the Chrome Data Reduction proxy, PageSpeed Insights, Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), and Google Web Light, as well as a plethora of CDN/Hosting/Plugin channels to help any website deploy PageSpeed, including Verizon/Edgecast’s CDN, we-amp’s IIS WebSpeed and ats_pagespeed, SiteGround, Section.IO, OpenLightspeed, and cpanel.

With this announcement, we are broadening development and ownership of the project to the web community.  To this end we have:

  • Migrated of our “source of truth” from Google’s source control to Github, enabling external contribution without Googler involvement, and including the full test and release process.

  • Begun the process of migrating the project into the Apache Software Foundation through incubation.

  • Started the process to incorporate the software into common Linux distributions, such as Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS.

We invite all interested developers to contribute to and become committers to mod_pagespeed.  Do you have a favorite feature you'd love to see?  Please add it!  Is there a special-case issue you've been running into?  Please submit a fix.  Our issue-list is open, as is the project priority queue.

We also want to officially introduce we-amp.com, the company that created the IIS and Apache Traffic Server versions of PageSpeed, as well as contributing significantly to the Nginx version, the core optimization libraries, and the support and maintenance of the product on this and other forums.  We-Amp is committed to driving the project forward together with committers from Google and the broader community.  We invite you to help us keep improving mod_pagespeed and make the web fast!

Joshua Marantz, Google

Otto van der Schaaf, We-Amp