combine_css and combine_js results in 404.

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 5, 2017, 3:12:38 AM5/5/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, Thileepan Sivanantham
Hi,

We have set up pagespeed for apache in amazon ec2 instances under ELB. There are two servers under an ELB and the ssl is configured in the ELB end.

Currently the rewrite_js and rewrite_css is working properly, but when we introduce combine_css/ combine_js filters these are failing intermittently and giving 404's for the requested resources.

we have authorized the https domain also we have setup "respecting of the X-Forwarded-Proto header"

Can anyone guide on whats going wrong with this ?

Thanks
Prithwiraj

Otto van der Schaaf

May 5, 2017, 5:57:33 AM5/5/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, Thileepan Sivanantham
I think it would be good to confirm that the module is able to fetch its inputs successfully.

You should be able to confirm that by looking at the access logs of the load balancer.
Fetches originating from the module should mention "mod_pagespeed" in their user-agent.
To debug better it may help to temporarily disable IPRO [1] so the only way for the module to get to
its inputs becomes https fetching.

Also there's my earlier question: are there any relevant warnings/errors in:
- The Apache logs ?
- The message page of mod_pagespeed's admin interface?
- The output of the debug filter?

Otto

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 9, 2017, 12:49:12 AM5/9/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi Otto,

We'll check this one and get back to you on this

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM prithwiraj.saha via mod-pagespeed-discuss <mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

We have set up pagespeed for apache in amazon ec2 instances under ELB. There are two servers under an ELB and the ssl is configured in the ELB end.

Currently the rewrite_js and rewrite_css is working properly, but when we introduce combine_css/ combine_js filters these are failing intermittently and giving 404's for the requested resources.

we have authorized the https domain also we have setup "respecting of the X-Forwarded-Proto header"

Can anyone guide on whats going wrong with this ?

Thanks
Prithwiraj

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 10, 2017, 5:39:56 AM5/10/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi Otto,

We are getting the below log  in apache error_log whenever the 404's appear  but this is even without having the combine_css and combine_js.  Please note while the below filters were configured this was working properly. but suddenly after a couple of hours 404 starts appearing. Also if we flush the pagespeed cache things work fine for some more time. But after that it again gets these errors.

Below is our config settings

ModPagespeed on

    ModPagespeedFetchHttps enable

    AddOutputFilterByType MOD_PAGESPEED_OUTPUT_FILTER text/html
    ModPagespeedRespectXForwardedProto on
    ModPagespeedDomain https://domainname.com
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters rewrite_javascript,rewrite_style_attributes_with_url,rewrite_style_attributes,rewrite_css,sprite_images
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters flatten_css_imports
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters inline_css
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters inline_google_font_css
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters inline_javascript
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters move_css_to_head
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters move_css_above_scripts
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters insert_dns_prefetch
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters collapse_whitespace
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters remove_comments
    ModPagespeedEnableFilters lazyload_images

and below are the error logs - in apache

[Sun May 07 12:09:48 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Sun May 07 12:09:53 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Fetch timed out: https://assets/cssnxt/jquery.ui.datepicker.css (connecting to:10.0.1.133:80) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Sun May 07 12:09:53 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Sun May 07 12:09:58 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Fetch timed out: https://assets/cssnxt/plugins/fonts/fonts.css (connecting to:10.0.1.133:80) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Sun May 07 12:09:58 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Sun May 07 12:10:03 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Fetch timed out: https://assets/cssnxt/plugins/sweet-alert.css (connecting to:10.0.1.133:80) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Sun May 07 12:10:03 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Sun May 07 12:10:03 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Sun May 07 12:10:08 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Fetch timed out: https://assets/cssnxt/bootstrap.min.css (connecting to:10.0.1.133:80) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Sun May 07 12:10:09 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @25213] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 10, 2017, 7:10:07 AM5/10/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com

Also when we try to debug this with the URL : https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com/?PageSpeed=on&PageSpeedFilters=+debug,rewrite_css

we get the below for each and every CSS resources

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 11, 2017, 1:36:01 AM5/11/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Otto,

Also when i turn off IPRO we are getting the below errors in apache error log when the resources hits 404.

[Thu May 11 05:31:02 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10196] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:02 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10201] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:03 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10203] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:04 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10197] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:05 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10248] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:05 2017] [error] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10248] Serf status 120171(APR does not understand this error code) polling for 1 threaded fetches for 0.05 seconds
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10196] Fetch timed out for https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.main.css.pagespeed.cf.fEu3edfSus.css
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10196] https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.main.css.pagespeed.cf.fEu3edfSus.css resource_404_count: not found (404)
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10201] Fetch timed out for https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.mainaddon.css.pagespeed.cf.0yE9kBjrtt.css
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10201] https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.mainaddon.css.pagespeed.cf.0yE9kBjrtt.css resource_404_count: not found (404)
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10202] Fetch timed out for https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.jquery.ui.datepicker.css.pagespeed.cf.elHmVe_nHM.css
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10202] https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.jquery.ui.datepicker.css.pagespeed.cf.elHmVe_nHM.css resource_404_count: not found (404)
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10202] Fetch timed out: https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/jquery.ui.datepicker.css (connecting to:10.0.1.69:8080) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10196] Fetch timed out: https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/main.css (connecting to:10.0.1.69:8080) (1) waiting for 50 ms
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10202] A.jquery.ui.datepicker.css:0: Resource based on https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/jquery.ui.datepicker.css but cannot access the original
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10202] [0511/053107:WARNING:resource_fetch.cc(191)] Fetch failed for resource url https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/A.jquery.ui.datepicker.css.pagespeed.cf.elHmVe_nHM.css
[Thu May 11 05:31:07 2017] [warn] [mod_pagespeed 1.11.33.4-0 @10196] A.main.css:0: Resource based on https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/main.css but cannot access the original

Joshua Marantz

May 11, 2017, 9:04:37 AM5/11/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Just saw sanity check, can you run 'wget https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com:8080/assets/cssnxt/main.css' from the server where mod_pagespeed is installed?

Also, as this is an https resource, can you double-check that your cert directory is configured properly in pagespeed.conf?

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 11, 2017, 9:09:13 AM5/11/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

Below is the result of wget

Resolving quadglobal-pp.pearson.com (quadglobal-pp.pearson.com)... 34.205.100.107, 52.6.186.164
Connecting to quadglobal-pp.pearson.com (quadglobal-pp.pearson.com)|34.205.100.107|:8080... connected.
Length: 206370 (202K) [text/css]
Saving to: ‘main.css’

main.css                          100%[==========================================================>] 201.53K  --.-KB/s    in 0.005s

2017-05-11 13:07:34 (42.2 MB/s) - ‘main.css’ saved [206370/206370]

Also SSL terminates at ELB end - There's no cert directory in physical server
Hi Otto,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mod-pagespeed-discuss/93e23a27-33af-4a0d-ae73-84f9c47b6641%40googlegroups.com.

Joshua Marantz

May 11, 2017, 9:59:49 AM5/11/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Looks like Serf error code 120171 is
120171SSL communications related errors.

The cert specification I was thinking about, described in https://modpagespeed.com/doc/https_support , is in the "Configuring SSL Certificates" section:
  ModPagespeedSslCertDirectory directory
  ModPagespeedSslCertFile file

The default directory for Debian-based systems is /etc/ssl/certs, and there is no certificate file setting. On CentOS-based systems, the default directory is /etc/pki/tls/certs and default file is /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem.

These directive cannot be used in .htaccess files or <Directory> scopes.

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 12, 2017, 12:18:23 AM5/12/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

Just to clarify - we have the SSL setting at ELB level and there's no way we can point to the SSL directory as there is none. SSL is configured in ELB. Can you please let us know what we can do to get thsi working.

@Thilee, correct me if I am wrong on the SSL configuration thing
Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 12, 2017, 2:53:49 AM5/12/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

Seems like the 404 issue is resolved after adding the below configuration

But a new issue is  - now we are getting the below errors when we try to combine JS. It seems that the eval scripts are not finding the mod_pagespeed_<RAND_NO> vars when the Js files are combined. Would be great if I can be pointed out how this can be sorted.

assessment:591
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_ZTcYKfCSJx is not defined
at assessment:591 (anonymous) @ assessment:591
at assessment:591
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_8UIMQgmKs6 is not defined (anonymous) @ assessment:591
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_R3ea$PLYWx is not defined
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_s1ZSvjT01u is not defined at assessment:591 (anonymous) @ assessment:591 at assessment:591 (anonymous) @ assessment:591
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_Wtb8znoKLP is not defined
assessment:591 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_04uHRbIQs6 is not defined at assessment:591 (anonymous) @ assessment:591
at assessment:591
Capture.PNG

Joshua Marantz

May 12, 2017, 7:09:30 AM5/12/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
RE the ssl cert directories: these are not the certs for your site.  These are the certs that any SSL client would need in order to validate server-certs against a certificate authority. Their location is distribution-dependent. mod_pagespeed tries to get it right by default in its binary distributions for CentOS & Debian, but if you are using a different OS variant then it needs to be tweaked in the pagespeed config.  Note that 'wget' works because it was built as part of the distro, and therefore knows where to pick up the certificate-authority information.

However your workaround to map to http is OK as as long as you don't redirect http to https :)  You can also map to localhost:8080.

RE combine_js eval problems: we've had similar issues on various sites with this filter in the past but I thought we were mostly past them.  Scanninng https://github.com/pagespeed/mod_pagespeed/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=combine_javascript%20 may be helpful.  Maybe this is related to the fact that you are behind a load balancer and there is something going on with the filenames.  Note that the URL encoding does not involve a random number, but an md5 sum of the original URL.  Possibly related:

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 15, 2017, 1:29:03 AM5/15/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

Re Combine_JS filter- I looked into the resources that you've shared and turned off all other filters apart from rewrite_js and combine_js. But still the issue occurs. How should we go ahead on solving this ?
Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 15, 2017, 1:59:02 AM5/15/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

We still got the serf errors in the log though we don't get the 404's, Which I am suspecting is giving issues with combine_js now. The cert configurations are there and the default files are there too. We would like to eliminate the Serf errors first and then see the if all other filters like Js combining work. Can we be guided how to get rid of the serf error?

ModPagespeedSslCertDirectory "/etc/pki/tls/certs"
    ModPagespeedSslCertFile /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem

Joshua Marantz

May 15, 2017, 8:08:04 AM5/15/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
What kind of distro are you running on?  Can you look around your directory structure to see if /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem exists?  Or if /etc/pki/tls/certs exists?

Maybe they are in a different location on your system.

If not, I'm not sure how to debug the HTTPS fetching problem, and you might need to turn off HTTPS fetching and rely on MapOriginDomain or LoadFromFile.

ModPagespeedSslCertDirectory "/etc/pki/tls/certs"
    ModPagespeedSslCertFile /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
Hi,

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 16, 2017, 1:14:19 AM5/16/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

We are using Centos Based  amazon ec2 instance and the certs are there in the specified directory.

# ls -la /etc/pki/tls/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root  4096 Mar  1 10:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root  4096 Jun 21  2016 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    19 Jun 21  2016 cert.pem -> certs/ca-bundle.crt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Mar  1 10:48 certs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Mar  1 10:48 misc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10923 Sep 22  2016 openssl.cnf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Sep 22  2016 private

will try with turning https fetching off once and let you know
ModPagespeedSslCertDirectory "/etc/pki/tls/certs"
    ModPagespeedSslCertFile /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
Hi,

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 16, 2017, 1:40:21 AM5/16/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

So I've disabled SSL and relying on MapOriginDomain  filter now. With this the serf errors dissapear from the logs. But the combine_js still gives the undefined errors. This proves this error from JS is not related with SSL. Now what should be our next steps to debug the combine_js undefined errors?
ModPagespeedSslCertDirectory "/etc/pki/tls/certs"
    ModPagespeedSslCertFile /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
Hi,

Hi Otto,

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 17, 2017, 12:44:00 AM5/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi,

Any one of any help here? We need to get the combine_js working as 80% of requests are JS. Please do let us know if this issue can be sorted out

Longinos

May 17, 2017, 2:51:23 AM5/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi

I can see that your js files are not inlined because they are big than 2048 bytes (the default size) you need to set

ModPagespeedJsInlineMaxBytes bytes

and you need to set bytes values big than your most big file size if you will inline all js files.

Other js files are not inlined nor optimized because the domain is not authorized, like

//cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=MML_HTMLorMML

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 17, 2017, 3:09:00 AM5/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi Longinos,

We don't want to inline all the Js files. Also we don't intend to rewrite the Mathjax js files as well. Even with the js file inlining off we are getting this errors thus i doubt increasing the limit will get rid of these combine_js undefined errors. Apart from this anything we can try ?

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 17, 2017, 3:38:05 AM5/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Longinos,

Just tried your suggestion of increasing inline js max bytes but still the undefined error exists

Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_6NOKcPynph is not defined
    at ?PageSpeedFilters=+debug:739
(anonymous) @ ?PageSpeedFilters=+debug:739
?PageSpeedFilters=+debug:739 Uncaught ReferenceError: mod_pagespeed_ZTcYKfCSJx is not defined
    at ?PageSpeedFilters=+debug:739
(anonymous) @ ?PageSpeedFilters=+debug:739

thileepan....@pearson.com

May 17, 2017, 7:14:41 AM5/17/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi Jmarantz,

//Maybe this is related to the fact that you are behind a load balancer and there is something going on with the filenames.//  - This makes differences on our testing. When we were trying without loadbalancer, we were NOT able to replicate the error and all were working fine.

As you can see on the screenshot below, whenever we are under a loadbalancer, the variable names are not passed properly Or the variable names got changed.

Any idea/suggestion to get rid this off?

Hi Otto,

Longinos

May 18, 2017, 4:24:50 AM5/18/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com

Hi Prithwiraj
As far as I can only test the login page with https://quadglobal-pp.pearson.com/?PageSpeedFilters=+debug I can´t see any error beyond that js files are not inlined because the file size is bigger than the default.
As stated by thileepan... the issue can be related to the use of load balancer. When a load balancer is in the play some type of shared pagespeed cache between servers is needed because all implied server must know the rewrite url of all resources. At this point I think you can try to use memcached or redis (better I think) cahe as far that the use of a shared disk can be a poor solution.
In this way all involved servers had the same optimized resources.

Can be this the origin of the issue?

prithwi...@learningmate.com

May 18, 2017, 4:36:53 AM5/18/17
to mod-pagespeed-discuss, thileepan....@pearson.com
Hi Longinos,

We've turned off the combine_js filter which is giving errors. If you want we can enable it. But there are no error messages in the log/ HTML apart from uncaught reference errors.

BTW  regarding Load balancer- we have sticky cookie enabled and are sure that resources are fetched from same server thus this shouldn't be an issue for shared storage. If this was an issue of shared storage we would have got 404 errors rather than different variable names.

I have opened a bug report here https://github.com/pagespeed/mod_pagespeed/issues/1539  - You can check it out for more details there.