Integrating mod_pagespeed in to Chrome

Alan Sutherland

Jan 28, 2015, 11:48:32 AM1/28/15
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Will mod_pagespeed or at least just the core filters within it ever be integrated in to Chrome so all sites are optimised by default?

Jeff Kaufman

Jan 28, 2015, 12:09:21 PM1/28/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
mod_pagespeed's optimizations are the ones you have to make
server-side. They're not ones browsers can make without support from
servers.

For example, recompressing images to require fewer bytes decreases the
amount of bytes you have to transfer across the network. Once the
client has received the image, however, you've already paid that cost.

Joshua Marantz

Feb 2, 2015, 2:07:01 PM2/2/15
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I'd like to point out that mod_pagespeed's bandwidth reduction features are already incorporated into mobile chrome, and are available as an option for users: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392284?hl=en

The latency reduction features (inlining, combining, prioritize critical css, defer javascript, etc) still require mod_pagespeed or similar.  It's also worth pointing out that some of the features of SPDY & HTTP 2.0 represent the advancement of browsers, but I don't think the benefits totally absorb what you can get out of MPS.

-Josh