404 error for resources (images) on a subdomain that contains underscore (_)

Miloš Dakić

Apr 30, 2016, 1:22:39 PM4/30/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I am having this weird issue where I get 404 error for resources processed by pagespeed (rewritten images for example) when resource URL contains underscore in subdomain, for example:

the same url works, just when the underscore is removed:

Also tried many other combinations, its always that if underscore is present in subdomain I get 404 error, and when removed, and used with any other combination, it works.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is this a bug in PageSpeed?

Tested on Apache 2.4.7 on Ubuntu 14.04 Linux.

Joshua Marantz

Apr 30, 2016, 1:34:10 PM4/30/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
I don't think so.  However, you should note that "_" is not valid in domain names.  See https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt .  You can use "-" though.

-Josh

Steve Hill

May 2, 2016, 11:43:45 AM5/2/16
to mod-pagesp...@googlegroups.com

Miloš Dakić

May 2, 2016, 6:14:43 PM5/2/16
to mod-pagespeed-discuss
Yes, when I turn off pagespeed links with underscore work. They just do not when pagespeed is turned on.

Here are few examples:

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 5:43:45 PM UTC+2, Steve Hill wrote:
Miloš, do non pagespeed links work with the underscore? For instance https://company_name.blogin.co/uploaded/1d41009f10b26e4a9/thumbs/xdaxavatar-1.jpeg